New Cooker 10700w maximum.

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by StevDorm, Jan 22, 2022.

1. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

I have a hob and double oven on a 32 amp MCB and 6.0 mm cable, I also have a data logger that doesn’t measure below 10 amps.

When I tried the data logger out at home for a week it barely recorded anything and never got up to 32 amps. People seem to go to extremes either completely underestimating the true demand or completely over estimating it rather than judging it is as it is.

Electric showers, car chargers, etc are fixed loads, they are what they are so you don’t need overload protection because the circuit should be designed to take the full load.

Socket and cooker circuits are designed to take up to the rated capacity of the circuit, but can be overloaded by too many appliances being plugged in or excessive use far in excess of what is normally expected, so they need over load protection.

StevDorm likes this.
  2. Ind spark

Ind spark Screwfix Select

Let us all know what your electrician mates say when you tell them they was wrong.

StevDorm likes this.
  3. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

That's not a valid excuse o_O

StevDorm likes this.
  4. StevDorm

StevDorm New Member

They said that's why you work where you do, I think they assumed you worked at screwfix I guess and not a qualified electrician.

5. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

None of us work for Screwfix. We all just volunteer our time to help others on this forum! There are a couple of Screwfix moderators, you will see Screwfix in their name.

StevDorm likes this.
  6. StevDorm

StevDorm New Member

I suppose if they genuinely think its not right it is though lol

7. StevDorm

StevDorm New Member

So is a sparky what you do as career then??

8. StevDorm

StevDorm New Member

They say it under BS 7671 what they are going by 18th edition or something

9. Ind spark

Ind spark Screwfix Select

Do what your friends say if it makes you happy, but you don't need to.

10. StevDorm

StevDorm New Member

I spoke to indesit also they said the oven can be run on 32amp and 6mm wire. They even said 30amp would be sufficient and I though I heard him say either 3 or 6mm but that last bit might be wrong.

11. The Happy Builder

I suspect some of us have far more experience and qualifications. ;)

StevDorm likes this.
  12. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Don't think it's down to experience or qualifications, some sparkies are just blinkered like when they see a plastic consumer unit and immediately say its illegal and must be removed

13. The Happy Builder

Experience will tell you that there are literally millions of cookers installed on 30 and 32 amp protective devices this in existing installations with 6.0 mm circuits.

Training and qualifications means you know why.

StevDorm likes this.
  14. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

I bet the OPS electricians have experience and training

StevDorm likes this.
  15. The Happy Builder

No doubt, possibly not in domestic electrical work.

16. StevDorm

StevDorm New Member

Spoke to indesit and they said 32amp and 6mm is fine to run their cooker also lol

17. The Happy Builder

BS7671:2018 The eighteenth edition of the Wiring Regulations.

For economic and reliable design of an installation within thermal limits and admissible voltage drop, the maximum demand shall be determined. In determining the maximum demand of an installation or part thereof, diversity may be taken into account.

StevDorm likes this.
  18. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I would say allowing for diversity they are correct.

StevDorm likes this.