New Deck Installation Crooked

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by ravensim137, Jul 13, 2022.

Tags:
  1. ravensim137

ravensim137 New Member

Currently in the process of having a new pacific mahogany hardwood deck installed. They have noticed after it has now been screwed down that half of the boards are bowed. They are going to unscrew and fix them by moving them slightly to get them to line up better. The question I have is by doing that, won’t the screw holes underneath be loose as they will be just moving the boards a little and kind of screwing partially into the existing holes. I’m thinking they will lift over time. I asked the builder this but they said it will be fine. Any advice, thanks.

2. Abbadon2001

Abbadon2001 Screwfix Select

Hard to really know the fault which caused the problem, or the level of fix being implemented and whether or not its going to cause a problem with no images or example. How much are they moving them?

3. ravensim137

ravensim137 New Member

I believe they will be moving them slightly to correct the bow in the middle. I uploaded a photo. It’s half the boards towards the right hand side. Might be hard to see from the photo

Attached Files:

4. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Screwfix Select

Is there a bow in each board or are you talking about an overall bow in the deck? Not clear in photos. Also when you say ‘bow’ do you mean an upward bow or that they are bowing sideways ie they’re not laid straight?

5. ravensim137

ravensim137 New Member

It’s a sideways bow as in not a straight line. The middle section curves towards the left. So if you run a string line along the board it’s not straight. It’s straight until around halfway then starts to have a curve which is continued the rest of the way along until it meets the house wall. Thanks

6. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Screwfix Select

Aah. Thought it must be. Let them take it up and relay if they’re happy to. Shouldn’t be any issue with the fixings. Check the slats after. Depending on whether they’ve drilled and countersunk them then a screw head picking up on the timber and damaging it on the way out would be more of a concern if anything.

ravensim137 likes this.
  7. Abbadon2001

Abbadon2001 Screwfix Select

What screw system were they using? - you'll want to watch out, if coloured screws are used, that they aren't wrecked after a second insertion and stick out like sore thumbs.

ravensim137 likes this.
  8. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

The bow on some of these boards can be significant, so you might find that hey are being screwed back in 10 to 20mm fiurther along the joist - which is plent of meat to hold them firm.

This is the reason I went with coposite...

ravensim137 likes this.
  9. ravensim137

ravensim137 New Member

Thank you I will check on this they are taking them up and fixing tomorrow

10. ravensim137

ravensim137 New Member

I don’t think coloured but I will double check tomorrow.

11. ravensim137

ravensim137 New Member

Thank you. They did say if it is close they will screw on a slight angle. I hope it all works out. I was going to go composite, it’s such a massive space though and it goes all around the corner where there is no light. I was worried as my friends went moldy so I wasn’t sure

12. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

I am not sure how they could do it without taking up the lot and starting again. But is the fact that they are not dead straight really that much of an issue for you? It is wood after all!

ravensim137 likes this.
  13. Royal_Innovation

Royal_Innovation New Member

Yes, your concern is genuine. If the decking boards are unscrewed and repositioned to address the bowing issue, there is a potential risk that the screw holes may become compromised. Reusing the same holes for screws that have been slightly shifted might result in the screws having less grip and stability, potentially leading to a weaker connection between the decking boards and the underlying structure.