New downlighter not working

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by CheggersJungle, Dec 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. CheggersJungle

CheggersJungle New Member

Hi all,

I'm getting an electrician in after Christmas to look at a few things, including a row of downlighters with gu10 LEDs in the landing ceiling.

However the old light has been removed and we need some short term light for decorating the stairs. I put a new downlighter in, the same as downstairs, and wired it up and gave it lots of space etc. However after trying several bulbs it doesn't seem to work at all, although there appears to be power going to it. Any ideas what I could have done wrong?

Thanks in advanced for your help.

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

There's a bad or missing connection somewhere, possibly the neutral if you do have power getting there.

3. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Live and neutral wrong way around??

4. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

That wouldn't stop a GU10 from working!

5. bright_Spark

bright_Spark Screwfix Select

measure your voltage from live to neutral, then live to earth. If your not seeing 230v from live to neutral but you get it on live to earth then you have a neutral problem.

tore81 likes this.
  6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

What type of light fitting was the one that was removed and what have you been left with, ie, a ceiling rose ?

What cables are you left with to connect up your temporary light

Post some pics of what uv got, will help solve the mystery !

7. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

I think possibly what went wrong is you have made a mistake. Just undo all the wiring from the ceiling light again and then rewire it from scratch taking extra care to do it neatly and properly. When things don't work after an alteration start again before panic sets in.

8. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Oh, didnt know with GU10s as most LEDs wont work if poles are not right way around.

9. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

GU10 led's are mains fed, if it were selv led's the low voltage side of their power supply would be polarity conscious.

Isitreally likes this.
  10. CheggersJungle

Thanks for all of your replies. I've only just finished doing kitchen floor today so haven't been able to take a look but will do this week and let you know what it was. [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. CheggersJungle

12. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Oh dear

That is NO help whatsoever.

1. we do not have x-ray eyes, what is under the cover in pic 2?
    2. where do the wires lead to, need pictures of those terminations, and what is happening in the switches
    3. pictures of anything else you have altered

also, do you have any sort of two-probe voltage tester, or even a multimeter?

13. CheggersJungle

Hi,

Thanks for your reply and sorry mine is so late, it's been a busy week. Yes that photo was pointless, sorry! I didn't have a screwdriver to hand and had set the alarm downstairs. Gone up to the loft now and taken it off and pictures are below, alongside the switch and multimeter.

I haven't tested the voltage yet as can't mess about with power tonight and switching lights off. Will take a look on Saturday when it's a bit lighter.

Please let me know your thoughts, if anything can be derived from the photos. Thanks.

https://imgur.com/a/eaXJf

14. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

This won’t help you getting ur light sorted and I’m not just merely having a pop but .........

That downlighter is way way to close to that joist, ur running GU10 halogens are you not ? Have you noticed how hot they get

Very poor and scruffy connections to lamp holder. Cable clamp should clamp onto cable outer sheath, not individual cores

Strange wiring to lamp ? Earth and nuetral in grey sheath then live run in singles ?

Where do the wires to downlighter come from, ie junction box, switch, ceiling rose, other

What’s the other cable with yellow tape around it

15. bright_Spark

bright_Spark Screwfix Select

Looking at your pics I would say it was incredible that your light ever worked at all. I would suggest you call in a spark to have a look at that mess, not being funny here but you should be relieved that it isn't working. I think you may need some additional work doing rather than merely just getting the light to work. The way it is currently wired up is disturbing.

16. CheggersJungle

Noted, thanks. Will give them a call today. They are LED but yes when we get the rest of the row in we'll move them away from the timber. This was just trying to use the existing hole temporarily but judging from your comments I will just use continue to use a lamp for now!

Thanks again.