new drill for joists

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by thelibertad, Dec 14, 2012.

1. thelibertad

thelibertad New Member

Any recommendations on a reasonable priced drill to fly threw joists on Rewire s thanks chaps

2. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

http://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-da3010-240v-450w-angled-drill-driver/98395?_requestid=2142
    [​IMG]

http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-flat-wood-bit-32mm/42819
    [​IMG]

Links to SCREWFIX so mods should not remove!  Cheaper elsewhere.

Right angle drills allow you to drill holes parallel through a joist, not at an angle.  This allows pulling in cables FAR quicker and easier.  Also allows you to lift a floor board close to a stud wall and drill up through the sole plate from below.  If you are clever, and have a bit of the correct length and position your switch height well, you can also drill the noggins through a switch cutout.

3. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Concur!

BTW The DeWalt Flat Blades are the best I've ever used!

I use the cordless version mostly though.

[​IMG]

4. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

That's a TOY ! you want the PROPER Mans Makita drill  6300lr with the right angle attachment. and why use spade bits? auger bits fly through compared to hard going spade bits, get with the times

5. wally

wally Screwfix Select

Some of these are ideal, especially at £2.99 so i got 2 sets. [​IMG]

6. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Those are called Forstener bits Wally, normally used for cutting  part-way through boards eg when fitting hinges in kitchen cupboard doors etc, not intended for cutting all the way through.

7. wally

wally Screwfix Select

True sen

8. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

The 6300 is too bulky for my liking.  The da3010 is nice and compact and fits in places the 6300 wont.  Drilling up through the sole plate of stud walls and oddly joisted floors for example.

The da3010 is lower wattage than the 6300 and is therefor much better suited to flat bits.  The dewalt flat bits are excellent teamed with the da3010.  Effortless drilling.

Used to have a larger drill with auger bits, and much prefer to use this smaller compact makita.

9. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

Drilling through 3' thick Greenheart joists in renovated buildings , twenty plus , I don't think that 'toy' would last long. I have yet to see a spade bit that outperforms an Auger bit
    Ofcourse if it's just half a dozen holes in a domestic property , from time to time, then the 'toy' is cheaper and will no doubt suffice

10. thelibertad

thelibertad New Member

Will check them out, what about a reaSonably priced cordless drill for joists etc

11. wally

wally Screwfix Select

Ive got an AEG 18v cordless which seems to cope well for most joist drilling & wall plug holes so its not often I use the 240v one I had for this purpose.  Where it is not good enough for some jobs I use the Hilti.  Battery drills have come a long way if your willing to pay good money for one.

12. petertheplumber

petertheplumber New Member

I use my cordless drill with a right angle driver with a key chuck and steel bearings in it for joists or difficult places.

13. petertheplumber

petertheplumber New Member

I am trying to get another set of those wally who stocks them?

14. For Drills there are plenty of choices: I've never had a problem with my Bosch GSR 18 VE-2-LI

preferences would include: at least 18v lithium, at least 3ah batteries,

Drill bit choices: 
    I agree with Lokkars, Auger bits chew through the wood nicely but I would suggest a corded drill to churn through the wood,
    If not an auger bit, I'd choose Bosch 'Self Cut' spade bits with wingtips and thread on the centre point and can be used with cordless drills. (My usual)
    An alternative to the spade bit is the Armeg Wood beaver Drill set, but again I'd suggest you have a corded drill for the Armeg bits as constant power will be needed to prevent clogging.
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/armeg-wood-beaver-drilling-set-4pcs/61911
    http://www.axminster.co.uk/bosch-bosch-selfcut-speed-flat-bits-set-prod868132/

15. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

'bea    ver' is not allowed?

Come on Screwfix. You can't auto-ban common words.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

16. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Aww Handy, SF might consider "beever" to be a slang term for part of a woman's anatomy. ;)

17. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

They might, but it was obviously NOT. It's stupid to ban words that are used in common English in completely different context.

They'll be banning 'dog & duck' next.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

18. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

You know what they're like Handy. Even on the plumbers forum it's very hard to mention stop **** . Instead, I always call it a stop tap . Had to edit that so the cock bit looks like **** . Unbelievable, you can type cock in but not bea, ver .

19. What I dont get is the link to the beever bit is on screwfix's own site! lol