New Electric & Gas supply for flat conversion

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Rockyboy, Nov 9, 2018 at 2:08 PM.

1. Rockyboy

Rockyboy New Member

Hi all, hoping someone can please advise me on best course of action and which companies might be the best priced.

Basically I'm nearing the end of a development project converting my existing 2bed flat into two separate units, a 2bed and a 1bed with the aid of an extension.

The 2bed has mostly been completed and I'm in the middle of renovating the 1bed, my question is how to I go about adding a new electric and gas supply to one of the flats.
    Obviously one flat can use the existing connections but I'm not sure if I can just take a feed from the existing gas and electric supplies coming into the property and split them to go to new a new gas and electric meter etc..

Many thanks in advance!!!

2. Coloumb

Coloumb Well-Known Member

Your nearing the end and only just thinking about gas and electric? Did you even do first fix?

3. Rockyboy

Rockyboy New Member

Hi,well I'm just starting the renovation of the 1bed flat, the 2bed flat just used the existing connections, builders have just removing the chimney breast and ceiling so still a fair way to go.

4. Coloumb

So what do you plan in terms of re-wiring each flat?

5. Comlec

Comlec Well-Known Member

For a gas supply

For an electrical supply

And prepared to be shocked by the cost. But, hey, you are a property developer with loads of cash:)

6. Rockyboy

Rockyboy New Member

This is where I need some advice :)

I'm hoping the existing main electricity cable coming into the property will be sufficient to support an extra load coming off it (if that makes sense) same goes for the gas supply assuming the pressure is sufficient to handle an extra pipe branching of it to a separate meter etc..

7. Rockyboy

Rockyboy New Member

Ha ha (not rich that's for sure), thanks I'll take a look, unfortunately I'm not really a property developer, just a one-off conversion of my own flat :)

8. Coloumb

You need to figure out what sort of loading each flat is going to require. Unless you have a reasonable plan of what you actually want, it's impossible to answer. You can't just expect us to guess. What do want in each flat? A cooker? Gas or electric? Heating, same, shower, lights etc. What?

9. Rockyboy

Rockyboy New Member

Sure I appreciate that, well the 2bed flat has an en-suite showeroom, all kitchen appliances, induction hob, electric oven, MW, dish washer and the 1 bed will have the same type of appliances but just a single shower room, central heating in both flats, the 2bed also has a garden so has a few exterior led lights.

The 2bed has a Valliant 832 eco etc boiler and the 1bed will have a Valliant 825 ecotec.

Hope that helps!