New fence post footing

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by CJASENG, Apr 1, 2019.

1. CJASENG

CJASENG Member

Hi All,

So I replaced a fence post yesterday, after spending 2 hours with my SDS drill and chisel bits removing the old footing. I laid some gravel down at the bottom and set the new post in. Now all the advice I've heard said to use 2 bags of postcrete. However my merchants stocked Remix Post mix and seeing as it was different i just followed the instructions and only used 1 bag. The footing is solid enough but only about 1/2 fills the hole. I'm slightly concerned about the post rotting again. It is a tanalised green pressure treated post but about 250mm of it will be under soil. Do you think this will be ok for another few years or is there something else I can do before laying all the soil back on top?

Thanks for any advice

2. gas monkey

gas monkey Well-Known Member

Not a prop we push them in with the machine on a run no concrete last 15 yes or more

3. CJASENG

CJASENG Member

Thanks Gas Monkey...can't put a price on peace of mind...the thought of having to remove anymore footings in the next 5 years fills me with dread. Although I'll definitely be hiring a proper breaker next time!

4. gas monkey

gas monkey Well-Known Member

Air jackhammer two minutes I know but if you haven't got one you do your best
    Ram soil over mix or drop in another bag wind will blow it over
    Use a Leng of 2 4 or a sledge hammer by drop to compressed cheers