New flat roof nail gun or screws.

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Sbr, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Sbr

Sbr New Member

Hi there. This is my first post here so hopefully I'm in the right area. I am self building a flat roof extension and can' find any info on use of nail guns for fixing roof joist blocking etc 3.1x90mm galv nails. Is this ok with build regs or does everything need to be screwed? I'm using joist hangers and truss clips with 40mm square twist nails and screwed vertical restraint straps as required. Just wondered about nail gun use for framing. Thanks for any help.

2. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

I wouldn't buy a nail gun for just one framing job unless it's a really big job. How many square meters is it? but would definitely invest in an impact driver if you don't allready have one.

3. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

As mr moose says, save your money if it's just one job and buy a long handled estwing hammer and some 4" loose Roundhead or ringshank nails. If you don't want the hammer afterwards stick it on eBay.

4. Sbr

Sbr New Member

Thanks Mr Moose. Will look at an impact driver. I have a nail gun as there's decking, fencing, a timber frame summer house to sort out. It was more a question of building controls view of nail gunning in roof framing as it may cause splitting. Something I was told here, I've een in Australia a few years and building regs are different. Many thanks.

5. GeoffonTour

GeoffonTour New Member

Main differences between nails & screws; Screws will pull the materials together with more force, leading to tighter joints and greater friction between mating surfaces, and are much better at resisting axial load (ring shank nails fired from a nailgun come bloody close. I don't know the numbers but just try pulling one out).

Screws in general are made of harder metal, however, and as such are will break more easily under repetitive movement or shear force.

So - If it's gonna move (roof joints being a prime example; the heating/cooling effects cause a surprising amount of expansion/contraction, and this will be converted to torque on the joint) use nails. Otherwise screws are fine. On a flat roof, I'd nail it by habit, but if it's small and over engineered it shouldn't be subject to the same forces a large cut roof will undergo.

If it's a one off, screw it up tight, then bang a few nails in after for good measure wit' hammer. No problems.

6. Mgreen201

Mgreen201 New Member

regs dont distinguish between using screw or nails . as long as they ae fit for purpose and correct size for job you are doing it wont matter