New fully tiled bathroom has shower which drains very slowly

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Ladinera, Apr 24, 2019.

1. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I guess in that case it might be a problem with aerated water going straight into the waste. The other thing to check is that the pipe is actually 50mm (the one you say is 'around 2 inches') because if it used to serve just the basin, it might only be 32mm.

KIAB likes this.
  2. Kas228

Kas228 Screwfix Select

Surely you stand under the shower head when your having a shower, therefore water isnt directly over drain it runs down your body. Never heard that before!

longboat and KIAB like this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Intrigued in this, please keep us updated.

If you do take down ceiling, take some photo's of shower plumbing,etc,if it's intresting, think it might throw up a surprise or too.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  4. Ladinera

Ladinera New Member

Yes.I agree. It doesn’t make sense. And my son has just used the shower with the head slightly tilted so not as far over drain and he says it makes no difference. The shower is still draining slowly. Would it be worth getting a camera down there or is that just more money wasted?

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Your running out of ideas,having ceiling down is looking like the only option left to finally sort the problems.

Could start with a small hole,just big enough for access to get to trap is,then open up ceiling if more investigation is needed.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  6. Peter208

Peter208 Active Member

Is this a power shower?

7. Ladinera

Ladinera New Member

Hi there. It’s powered by a new pump in the loft. But it’s not at all powerful - I assume that’s because it is one of tbose large round waterfall types of shower head that comes straight out of the wall and it is directly above the drain.

8. ecoplumbing

ecoplumbing Active Member

Have you tried taking the seal out of the trap? The chrome part and insert. Maybe pull them out and see if that helps, might help you determine if it's the waste pipe or just a poor shower trap design

9. Peter208

Peter208 Active Member

Ok. That's still a lot of water to drain away.
    If the run to the soil drain is in away compromised or under size = problem.
    You might have to consider a air admittance valve cost about £10 for your size waste pipe. But the first thing would be the pipe size and it's correct fall to the soil pipe .

10. Ladinera

Ladinera New Member

Hi eco plumbing There is no chrome part. The shower tray is a Merlyn Truestone which comes with its own trap which does not have anything removable.... it has a removable grill which when removed does help the water drain more quickly but beneath that grill is a grey plastic structure which has what looks like a large enclosed grey pipe across most of the gap leaving a small gap to the side for the water to run out of. My builder says that it was fitted correctly, as I was surprised there was no removable part to clear hairs etc... and that this pipe thing was taking up so much room...

11. Ladinera

Ladinera New Member

Infact, Merlyn's website page on the Truestone tray describes the trap as "integrated" and says the tray comes with a "90mm fast flow waste"

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Totally naff product then, when happens if trap got damaged & needed to be replaced,your up the creek without a paddle, you would have to replaced the tray as well.:eek:

Pretty sure now, your problem now are down to the poor trap design.:(

13. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

If I understand this correctly, the new shower wastepipe runs along under the floor, it's joined by the basin wastepipe and the whole lot then runs outside.

If emptying the basin causes bubbling in the shower tray, surely there is a blockage between where the basin wastepipe joins the shower wastepipe and outside.

If it was a fault with the shower trap, or a blockage between the shower tray and the basin pipe, the basin wouldn't cause bubbling in the shower.

If you're lucky, you might be able to remove the wastepipe at the outside joint and have a look back along it into the house towards the basin for any obstruction. Unless it's
    that ghastly solvent fit pipe of course.

14. Ladinera

Ladinera New Member

Hi there. What do you mean by “solvent fit pipe”? Not heard of that before.
    Also the drain from the shower connects with pipes that then go through the ceiling and down into the kitchen where they are boxed in . They must link up with the waste from the kitchen sink and dishwasher as the shower drains outside via the same pipe as the kitchen sink and dishwasher.

15. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

Solvent fit pipe is glued together rather than pushed together.

Sadly, from what you've just described, it won't be possible to do what I've suggested. You may need to remove some of the boxing-in in the kitchen to investigate further as it still sounds to me as though the blockage is after the wash basin.

16. Ladinera

Ladinera New Member

Would it be worth getting in a drain expert with camera beforecutting holes in the ceiling?
    If we fill the basin then cover the overflow and let the water out then the water bubbles up in the shower. So maybe there is a blockage as you say, between where the basin wastepipe joins the shower waste and the outside. Is I worth using a diagnostic camera?

17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: May 8, 2019
    Joe the Plumber likes this.
  18. Ladinera

Ladinera New Member

Hi there.
    So the plumber has told me the shower drainage pipes are 1.5 inches in diameter and run from the trap for about 2.5 feet then make a 90 degree turn then run across the floor for about four foot to a T junction at which point the basin waste joins. He is confident the 90 degree angle and T junction do not affect the flow. Interested to know your views on this!

19. Davebuilder

Davebuilder Member

Take the hose off where it attaches to the shower control itself they maybe a valve there that you can pull out to increase the flow from the shower

20. Ladinera

Ladinera New Member

Thanks! I will get the plumber to look at that. But right now I am still struggling with a slow draining shower tray. Builder coming this week to possibly take down the ceiling below the bathroom and redirect pipes.