New gas boiler solution for listed period property that flues into chimney stack

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by dwhiteman, Aug 12, 2018.

1. dwhiteman

dwhiteman New Member

I live on the top floor of a Georgian converted townhouse. Currently I have a really old ( open vented? ) Stelrad regular boiler from decades ago that allegedly flues directly out into the kitchen chimney stack. Boiler works but it's on its way out and will probably be condemned at some point. Various heating engineers have taken a look at a solution but I seem to be stuck between new safety regulations that don't allow the flue into the chimney stack, and listed building regulations not allowing me to install a vertical flue that vent's through the roof or anywhere noticeable.
    Luckily as I'm on the top floor, an inside the chimney flue may work as the distances would be relatively short. I've only seen solutions for floor standing boilers with chimney vents options. As I'm in a 1 bed flat, that would be too large and a small wall mounted regular ( or even combi ) solution with this type of vent would be ideal.
    I wondered if anyone has come across a similar situation or has any advice to offer?

2. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi
    I’m not sure what the listed building ‘regulations’ are.
    Is it grade one listed?
    The gas regulations go through parliament, as in its a legal issue, black and white.

I understand the listed building are more an officers opinion.

I’m ready to be corrected mind!

Regards
    Peter

3. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi
    A quick google finds this quote from planning...
    • In conservation areas, World Heritage sites, national parks, areas of outstanding natural beauty, and the Broads the flue should not be fitted on the principal or side elevation if it fronts a highway.
    Ok it’s not buildings but it’s planning department where you get your answer

Regards
    Peter

4. Cwt

Cwt New Member

Don't know if still available but glowworm used to do a flexible twin wall flue for going up a stack for wall mounted boilers? Have a look on their page or give them a bell

5. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

Atmos boilers did flexible flue chimney kits. Atmos were rebadged Intergas boilers.

Worth asking an Intergas boiler installer or ask intergas by email. Being Dutch boilers ;) they have expertise in high level flue terminations,something to do with low level flues being locally prohibited.

doubt many installers (except intergas) will know about the variety of flueing available or be bothered to find out. The building listed status needs to be sorted out,good luck there o_O

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Your local planning office is the place you need to go,& depending where you are, it can be hard work getting your flue allowed.

7. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Why are you even considering gas when you have all the conservation issues. Take a look at electric boilers and or combi's.
    Plenty out there on the market and they don't nessacceraly cost the earth to run.

8. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

Your local buildings inspector may be able clear up the possibility of running a flue up a chimney also any effects on the people living below you plus details on what you may have to do. Then as some one mentioned - will this fit in with planning.

:)The buildings inspectors are usually pretty helpful people. I've needed to talk to them a couple of times. I've found them useful in determining what can be done rather than having to accept what some trades person may come up with or for even checking that is ok.

John
    -