New Gas Meter

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Des Lavender, May 21, 2020.

1. Des Lavender

Des Lavender Member

Hi, we are currently using Oil but will be having a Gas supply laid from the road to a new meter on the front wall of the house.

Does the meter have to be installed by a Gas Safe engineer?

Do I have to have a contract with a gas supplier before it is installed?

What are the regulations for the supply pipe from the meter round the side and round the back of the house? I was thinking about it being at ground level to go under the back door step.

Thanks.

2. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

I had my meter moved and this is my understanding - the suppliers responsibility includes the meter, but ends there. Supplier will install pipework and meter but leave the meter capped off, you then need a GS chap to install and test the pipework from the meter to your boiler or whatever.

Abrickie likes this.
  3. Des Lavender

Des Lavender Member

Yes, thanks. But I think that my situation is a bit different. Cadent will be digging up the road and my driveway to install a new mains supply pipe. I don't yet have a gas supply contract with anyone.

If the meter can be left capped off, that would work. Then I can get a Gas Safe engineer to install the pipework and a gas boiler.

4. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Not sure how that will work i.e. without a supply contact. May be they will install the pipe and cap it off, then come back to install the meter once you have a supply contract.

5. Des Lavender

Des Lavender Member

Thanks. I'll check out the meter supplier tomorrow and talk to Cadent.

6. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

I recently, (just over a year ago), had the same process...

Cadent will end the supply in a meter box, with an isolating valve... They don't provide the meter.

You will have to arrange with supplier to supply and fit a meter. Note that many "suppliers", particularly the smaller, newer, ones are not able to do this, so you may have to contract with the like of British Gas initially.

When the meter is fitted a gas safe engineer of your choosing can then do everything from the meter onward. Make sure you get appropriate certification!

Remember that the gas supply might then need bonding, and you'll need a sparky for that. Make sure you get appropriate certification!

good luck,

Cando

Hans_25 likes this.
  7. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Or you could employ Cando as he can do a bit of most of that stuff

Sounds about right Cando ;-)

8. candoabitofmoststuff

Since I'm enjoying retirement there's no-one can afford me!
    Cando, (but usually won't!)

Timbo66 likes this.
  9. Laldan29

Laldan29 New Member

Out of interest is there a difference in price with companies to put a new supply in?

10. candoabitofmoststuff

As I understand it, from what I remember when I was organising things a while back...
    There will only be one company that supplies/fits the gas line to the point where the meter will be. (In my case it was Cadent) Of course they may subcontract that out... but that will be transparent to the client.
    There are other companies that will "Do it all" for you, but they cost a lot, and will ultimately be employing Cadent, (or the relevant local body).
    To give you an idea of cost, I ended up paying Cadent about £850. This included survey, and all necessary works, including making good the pavement, (which was done quickly and to a decent standard as far as I can tell). The actual pipework was only about 10 metres from the main pipe, (under pavement), to the meter, and once they excavated the main, for connecting to, it was "moled". I knew the cost before anything was started.

The best I could get out of any of the other companies was several thousand!

Regards,

Cando

11. Laldan29

Laldan29 New Member

Cheers cando.
    I heard rumours of people digging a trench in there garden for the pipe which reduces price.
    I imagine that is redundant now as everything will be moled.

Will have to try get a quote at some point.

12. Des Lavender

Des Lavender Member

Thanks Cando. Price is now up to about £1,050 for 13 metres. As the mains is right by our property boundary (no pavements here in the country) and our front garden is all concrete, I think that "they" will probably just create a trench in which to lay the supply. And I guess that I'll have to make good afterwards.

13. candoabitofmoststuff

In which case I think they will probably mole it!
    And I suspect that price includes everything, based on what mine cost.
    God luck,

Cando