New glazed patio doors leaking

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Topcat7, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Topcat7

Topcat7 New Member

Hi all hoping someone in the know here can offer some advice?

Just had some sliding double glazed patio doors installed at rear of kitchen and when it rains, water pools in the inside tracks at the bottom of the doors?

The builders who installed the windows assured us that this is normal but I find this hard to accept?

Also when it is windy there is a discernible breeze that blows through the vertical beams of the frame separating the doors.. Is this normal?

Attached Files:

2. carl24bpool

carl24bpool Active Member

What system are they ? eg Smarts, Schuco, REynaers etc???

Usually this shouldnt happen. There should be a brush pile block under where the doors meet in teh middle, thi stops the extenral part of the track on one side from sending water over to the internal side. ALso there should be drainage holes that allow this water to run out of the frame and onto the external cill.

3. Topcat7

Topcat7 New Member

hi there many thanks for your reply. I’m not sure what system they are I’m going through my paperwork to to find out if it says anywhere..will let you know as soon as I find anything..

4. carl24bpool

no problem.

The doors may have what are called drainage caps on the outside. Like small plastic squares stuck to the frame along the bottom, just above the external cill. These sometimes have the system name embossed into them.

Is it a triple or double door system?

5. Topcat7

Topcat7 New Member

It’s aluK trirail triple door system

6. carl24bpool

I'm not familiar with this system so I cant advise you accuaretly. My previous advice is from my previuous experience as a technical manager within a factory making these doors but they were Smarts Visoglide which are extremely similar but not the same.

Your best bet is to contact the system suppliers (Aluk) and ask them to clarify your problem. They dont like their products being installed or fabricated badly so they should help. More often than not the installers arent properly trained and when they are left with a box of parts at teh end and they dont know where they go then they are thrown away. Id say you are missing the brushpile seals that fit below each interlock.

Tell the technical guy that and see what they say.

Or ask for a section drawing through the thresher of a triple track door and post it on here and I can advise you from there.

7. Topcat7

Topcat7 New Member

Hi Carl thank you so much for your kind advice. We shall contact aluK directly as you have suggested and make further enquires from there. At the end of the day it sounds like the doors have not been installed correctly and only hope that the builders will correct the issue with the support of the manufacturer. I really appreciate you response. Thanks again, Tom

8. Karina Black

Karina Black New Member

Hi Carl,
    I was searching for an answer for a similar problem as reported here, we have the smart visoglide (3 panels) and have the drain caps you refer to . However on our end static window the frame has separated which is apparently superficial however between the gap water gathers and appears to be coming out the exterior end cap . Are you able to advise ?
    Thanks,
    Karina

9. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

Maybe better to start a new thread. Anyway. Are you saying water is coming out of the end caps? Can you post a picture to show what you mean?

fwiw the smart system cill has an integrated drain abs it should emerge under the cill. The end caps being fully sealed to the cill