New heating system suggestions.

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by ArchieDog79, Sep 19, 2019.

1. ArchieDog79

ArchieDog79 New Member

Anyone have any suggestions for a new heating system?... Large detached property. Very open plan, 29 radiators, 4 bathrooms. Good mains pressure and flow rate..... Looking for a setup that someone has used before and works well.

Cheers in advance

2. gas monkey

gas monkey Well-Known Member

3. gas monkey

ive got 32 rads fitted two combis works fine 4 bath rooms with showers two sinks kitchen utility and wc

ArchieDog79 likes this.
  4. ArchieDog79

ArchieDog79 New Member

Cool, I'll give the 1960s a ring and see what they are up to

5. gas monkey

arrr the 60s electricity cut off miners stricks candle lit dinners

6. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

I run about the same number of radiators and 6 bathrooms off a grant 36 oil boiler and it’s fine. It copes well , largely because the house is well insulated. So depending on your insulation levels you may be able to run on a single large combi. It also helps me that. Out bathrooms are never all in use at same time.

ArchieDog79 likes this.
  7. gas monkey

used two as have two systems one up one down with manual connection valves as if one fails have a standby until fit new very handy
    but yes insulation is the key i concur

8. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

You could consider a large unvented cylinder and a heat only boiler (oil or gas)
    Also possible to have an unvented cylinder together with a combi boiler and use the combi boiler for only some hot outlets.
    I don’t advise combi oil boilers. Too complicated and troublesome

9. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Unvented cylinder.
    Heat only boiler.
    Zoned heating.
    Maybe underfloor heating.
    Depending on how quick you want HW at outlets then maybe a secondary return.

Hfs likes this.
  10. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

:) Gas must pay well. ;) or very small house with very small rooms.

That sort of solution may get around multiple bath filling etc with just one combi.

This place used to be fitted with 2 undersink gas water heaters piped to bathrooms. They may be an option to more than one combi. If I remember correctly each one was about 10kw but may have been less.

I wonder about the Swedish option. Electric panel heaters and underfloor. Hard to compare running costs especially as we have been using a lot of gas to generate electricity but in terms of efficiency that type of heating is 100% efficient. It also has quick heat up times.

John
    -