New house cracks

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Matt0987654321, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Matt0987654321

Matt0987654321 New Member

The staircase where it meets the wall is cracking in a new build. Is there a filler/caulk that is white, will fill the gap and NOT need painting?
    Thanks in advance.
    Matt.

2. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Screwfix Select

leave alone it will crack again its down to settlement and house drying out after 12 months builder will send their house maintance crew around to sort

3. Matt0987654321

It’s been 7 months and unless the gap is greater than 4mm they won’t touch it. I just want to tidy it up.

4. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Screwfix Select

well dig out and use a flexible tube filler applied with a silicon gun cauking

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Done that...will still crack, foam fill or move!

6. Matt0987654321

Thanks for the replies but what product do you recommend that would be white when dry and smooth, most seem cream and the white caulks I’ve used are ‘rubbery’

7. Au175

Au175 New Member

My house is 3.5 years old and I’m still getting them. When it first happened I got the builder out 6 months later, in hindsight I should have waited 2 years so he could come and sort all of em.

8. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

A length of timber quadrant bead pinned to the stair string to cover it.

Squashrobinson likes this.
  9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

That certainly will look a far better job than a bead of shrunk back caulk. Buy the quadrant from a timber merchant as longer lengths are available.