New jigsaw+skirting boards?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by tomba26, Feb 27, 2008.

1. goodfit

goodfit New Member

Hi new here, been lurking for a while though
    Seems Chip, Lamello and Cordless are pros !! the rest of you DIYers continue with your one room a day coping saw !!
    Belive it or not there is actually a device invented specifically for coping with a jigsaw its called the Collins coping foot, google it.
    Cheers,
    Goodfit.
    But then any Pro would already know this !!!

2. handcraft

handcraft New Member

as already said its whatever your used to i was taught using a jigsaw but in use i prefer using a coping saw simple as that

lee

3. woodsmith

woodsmith New Member

Tomba I prefer a standard D handle to a palm grip. As for mains v battery? If you already have battery tools and can get a bare unit then something like a DW 18V jigsaw is nice but as has already been said it is heavy. Otherwise a mains is going to be a cheaper option, I have a Bosch it is years old and gets chucked in the back of the van but is still going strong.

But then what do I know I don't have a Collins foot ;)

4. damo150

damo150 New Member

Hi new here, been lurking for a while though
    Seems Chip, Lamello and Cordless are pros !! the rest
    of you DIYers continue with your one room a day
    coping saw !!
    Belive it or not there is actually a device invented
    specifically for coping with a jigsaw its called the
    Collins coping foot, google it.
    Cheers,
    Goodfit.
    But then any Pro would already know this !!!

5. damo150

damo150 New Member

Youll save yourself a few seconds per scribe using a jigsaw. Its down to personal preference but coping saw is the safer option and personaly I feel more in control with one than a jigsaw.

6. Mr Mike

Mr Mike New Member

goodfit....you're a pr*ck.

I don't know how to more diplomatically put it to be honest with you.

cnut maybe fits the bill more ?

7. sammy toaster

sammy toaster New Member

that was a rant and a half lamello, got knocked again were we?

8. chip off the block

chip off the block New Member

what the hell is a colins foot? i use a palm grip but thats because i just feel more comfatable that way

9. yorkshireboy

yorkshireboy Member

I sometimes worry about the obsession that you have to use a power tool for everything.I,m expecting someome soon to say he doesn,t keep a tool in his van without a battery or a lead on it.
    You can cut scribes with a coping saw in seconds,why would you want to use a jigsaw?

10. handcraft

handcraft New Member

i was taught using a jigsaw but prefer using a coping saw each to their own mate i dont think you should take the **** just cus others use a jiggy

seems sometimes im the only chippy on site with a handsaw

lee

11. lamello

lamello New Member

Because once you get good at it you can cut scribes just as tight as with a coping saw but quicker. As I say horses for courses. Coping saw is a perfectly fine way to do them as is using a jigsaw. Also I know for certain on most jobs I will need a jigsaw but far less often will i use a coping saw, you make decisions about what stays in the van and what stays in the workshop. Otherwise you end up with toolboxes the size of the ark royal. Surely the issue here is that internals have to be scribed(sound of another can of worms being opened) rather than mitred. The actual method of cutting a scribe is personal choice. I am no obsessive about power tools, I do plenty of work by hand but scribing is something I choose to do with an upside down jigsaw.

12. lamello

lamello New Member

Yorkshireboy the question can be reversed, if you can cut scribes in seconds with a jigsaw why would you use a coping saw. The reason is because you like using a coping saw wheras I like using a jigsaw.

13. goodfit

goodfit New Member

goodfit....you're a *.
    I don't know how to more diplomatically put it to be honest with you.
    cnut maybe fits the bill more ?

Thats not very nice Mr Mike
    Please explain your reasons for this childish post

[Edited by: admin8]

14. Mr Mike

Mr Mike New Member

"Hi new here, been lurking for a while though
    Seems Chip, Lamello and Cordless are pros !! the rest of you DIYers continue with your one room a day coping saw !!
    Belive it or not there is actually a device invented specifically for coping with a jigsaw its called the Collins coping foot, google it.
    Cheers,
    Goodfit.
    But then any Pro would already know this !!!"

Not really the best way to win friends and influence people is it ?

I would argue, it's probably more childish, having never contributed anything useful yet, to make a statement that anyone who hasn't heard of / used a Collins coping foot is not professional.

I would also argue that being a DIYer is not really an insult. I've seen many a DIYer's work that's embarrassingly good, and that would put many a so called professional joiner's/carpenter's work to shame.

I've re-read your post, in the sober light of day, and to me you still sound like a pen*s i'm afraid.

15. lojo

lojo New Member

i used a jigsaw a few years back to do some skirting board scribes as I ran out of coping saw blades, after a few i got the hang of it and never went back to the coping saw - i get just as good a finish

although it does seem like the wrong tool to use it works well for me

16. starlight tiles

starlight tiles New Member

joiner or machinist i ask mr lamello

17. lamello

lamello New Member

Dont quite understand what you mean 75adoor/lennie/mazball? I am a carpenter/joiner who does all his own machining. Seeing as I am a sole trader it would be a bit pointless paying someone else to machine up my gear when I can do it myself. Difference is from what you say about yourself you work for firms so in essence have a boss who tells you what to do. Nothing wrong in that it suits some people better. Myself though I like to source my own work, plan my own schedules, turn down work I dont want and be my own boss. Suits me better. So I guess you could say Carpenter/joiner/machinist.

18. joiner_sim

joiner_sim New Member

end of the day..... personal preference!

Jigsaw = newbies to the trade, like myself!

Coping Saw = professionals from the old skool (one day i hope to be as good but don't own a decent coping saw!)

Simon,
    http://www.freewebs.com/simonswoodwork

19. lamello

lamello New Member

Simon, got to disagree, to say that jigsaws are for newbies to the trade is wrong. It is personal preference and its down to what works best for you and in the quickest time. I am pretty old skool but in terms of method of working in a professional arena its what is quickest and best. If a coping saw works quickest and best then do that, if a jigsaw works quickest and best then do that. I can cut them equally as well both ways but a jigsaw is quicker so for me it wins. Pointlessly carrying on with a slower method for me (others will find it quicker with a coping saw) is what diyers and partimers do. In the cold light of day what an internal corner needs is to be scribed and if I was to plough on doing it a slower way just because I thought it was the "proper" way to do it I would be cheating myself out of money.

20. damo150

damo150 New Member

At the end of the day, this topic as pretty much gone as far as it can. How and what we use are tools for is down to individual, personal desire. Its like choice of clothes or food, what films we like ect. We all have our own different set up with tool boxes and what tool should be used for each particular job/method of works as long as there isnt a great difference between time scale and productivety and more importantly producing EQUAL standards of quality it doesnt really matter as I mentioned there are pros and cons of scribing internals with a coping saw and a jigsaw. Ive used both methods including using a chop saw to scribe particularly charmfered skirting profiles (running the blade on a slight angle), I prefere using a coping saw out of habit despite getting just as good results with machinery and in comparison personaly only see a marginaly difference in speed, but then again Ive fitted a hell of a lot of skirting boards and have a nice sharp saw with plenty of decent blades.
    Id say using a jigsaw is easier than using a coping saw, but then again youve got to take it to the job, plug it in/change blade (my jigsaw blades are a lot more expensive than hand coping ones) and in the event of an accident ie slip, loose balance/ workpiece comes loose, which tool is going to sustain the greater injury?
    Again, personaly, for me, coping saw=safe working practice, better control, lighter weight and handy tool to just pick up and do the job. Remember, not every working situation is practical to use a jigsaw for thid type of work.
    Damo