new jigsaw

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by foxy, Jan 30, 2004.

1. foxy

foxy New Member

I was thinking of buying the makita jigsaw in the sfx catalogue when i saw some good reviews of the freud one on the left here. I know one of you said he paid £99 for one and i am wondering if the halving of the price is a result of lowering the quality of the tool? Also anyone got an oppinion on the makita?

thanks

2. softinmiddle

softinmiddle New Member

I dont know about halfing the price. Its advertised on my screen at £49.99 but you try and buy it and it goes up to £69.99. Put your mouse curser over the picture and see what i mean.

3. hab

hab New Member

I was lucky as I got my Freud saw for £49.99 a couple of days ago but the price shows clearly £69.99 now.It seems an excellent saw even at the higher price.It is still £10 +pp cheaper than the Toolstation price.

4. Thermo

Thermo New Member

Foxy, ive had this as well and just sent a grumbling e-mail off to screwfix as its not on, to show it at one price and have it at another

5. foxy

foxy New Member

So the freud was £20 dearer than advertised was it. SFX will probably lower the price to match what they are telling the world they are selling it for..... F* me what a surprise, they've changed the ad. Anyone know how it compares to the makita as the price gap is closing fast.

6. Knot competent

Knot competent New Member

As a DIYer I've only ever had the cheapest jigsaws, i.e. B & D saws in the (currently) £20 region. OK, they aren't brilliant, but with care you can make a reasonable cut which, if you err on the correct side of the line, you can then trim up with a plane.
    Can any of you professional guys explain what extra you get by spending £115 on a Makita?
    Regards, a curious John

7. bodget&scarpers

bodget&scarpers New Member

eer yes, speed of cut,had 2 use the householders diy jigsaw one day, as left mine at home, and my god seem 2 take ages 2 rip an 8 x 4 sheet.