New kitchen opinion

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by m546, May 21, 2006.

1. m546

m546 New Member

Hi Boff
    I usually do follow that good advice, other half OK'd the deal as the fitter was recommended and talks a good job.
    Reason we assumed he would remove the rubbish he didn't say he wouldn't remove it
    Lesson learned again!!
    thanks for the reply
    m546

2. russ295

russ295 New Member

got me there for a sec russ , nope , metal /bonded
    capping is fine mate , check your osg again , if
    buried 50 mm you don't need anything

hi grunt
    page 53 osg, 7.3.2 less than 50mm, earthed metal conduit (trunking or ducting), anything deeper no protection req. capping be it plastic or metal is only really fitted for protection from plasterers trowels. the fitting of capping is a personal choice by the installer (within the permited routes) and there is no requiremant to bond it.

russ

3. grunt

grunt New Member

sod , cheers for that .don't tell the sparks

4. russ295

russ295 New Member

no prob dude :)

5. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

:O

6. grunt

grunt New Member

steady sinewave , ive rectified it .......lol

7. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

8. !!

!! Active Member

do they still spend all the day texting then, my apprentices' phone is going to have a accident with a nail gun if he even thinks about touching it tommorrow

9. aas

aas New Member

Sorry to hear of your troubles - sounds appalling. But you do get what you pay for. Wouldn't touch any kitchen install for less then £2500. But then I do work to 0.25mm tolerances. A 2cm run out between wall units and worktops is disgusting. Anyone who say's this is OK must either work to a similar standard, be half blind, or think there is some misguided loyalty in defending the fitter in question.
    You are the customer - you are right. Maybe a few lessons learned from your own point of view, but get the fitter back with a sensible snagging list. If he does not or cannot put the offending items right, speak to Trading Standards for their advice. (Like I said, a 2cm run out is disgusting.)
    It doesn't matter how bad the room, it is always possible to work to within 1mm. It is the three way Time - Cost - Quality battle - you can't have all three. Seems like you had it great on time (3 days), great on money (£1080 is a steal) but you can't have quality as well!

10. russ295

russ295 New Member

But then I do work to 0.25mm tolerances

feking hell, i cant see 0.25mm never mind work to it, whats in your toolbox a micrometer and a set of verneer gauges.

i agree 2cm is bad, if fact its really bad, but a 1/4 of a mill. :)

11. aas

aas New Member

It's probably the turbo charged contact lenses!
    Seriously, if someone is paying £4k just for the worktops, they want them fitted well - and the rest of the kitchen for that. Takes time - but quality is not quick.

12. Punda

Punda New Member

Must agree with *** on quality takes time, but I do believe you are bull ******** with your tolerances

13. grunt

grunt New Member

aggreed .25 mm , thats a typo , 2.5 mm is more like it and thats before we talk about expansion , contraction , and other mucky things , however , i have to say that customers dis the fitter far too often , like russ says , 1000 squid for your fit , including plumbing , remember this guy went to the trouble of cutting into the stack to get a decent fall on the waste ?? ive seen loads that go uphill , electrics , the guy went to the trouble of cutting in new switch and connection unit for cooker , far easier to shove inside nearest unit , piece of worktop under joint ?? how do you know its not hiding the bolts , and the reason its there is because the cheap worktop in question was so bowed it had to be screwed up one side whilst dragged into place the other , im not making it up either , i had a couple of years on commercial dry fits doing these kitchens and cheap and nasty is what most of them are , they ar nt the customers choice , they are choosen by the builder and the cheapest on the market . so , no this fitter i reckon did a decent job , for not a lot . Question , where are the bolts ??? did you buy him any ?? or did you think stuff it ill save another 30 quid .why is it the fitters fault the middle rail was missing , you took on the job of supplying , where is your supplier in all this , have they phoned to make sure you re happy ?? .or more telling , have you ...thats YOU gone back to your supplier for a missing middle rail and asked the fitter nicely , if hell come back and fit it , AND YOU LL PAY HIM FOR HIS TIME ????????

14. aas

aas New Member

No typo - on solid surface worktops I work to 0.25mm. For most other things 1mm seems to do. You cannot get £4k's worth of worktop and cut it wrong. Let the surface warm to room temperature for at least 24 hours first, saves the biggest problem of expansion and contraction, cold worktops being cut to length, then expanding when warm and being too long.

As for previous comments - 'Punda' - if you use an adjustment bolt with 1.0mm thread pitch, one quarter turn gives you 0.25mm. It's not rocket science. In fact, if you give the same bolt a sleeve marked up with 10 evenly spaced marks, you get 0.1mm tolerance. (Not bull ******** - it's called using your brain.)

Quality does take time - also needed are quality tools, a high level of professionalism, the ability to invent or create your way around the inevitable problems that will arise, the patience to do the job properly, etc., etc.

'Grunt' - you reckon the fitter did a decent job. 2cm run our between between top and bottom is not a decent job. If it had been 2mm fair enough, but then if the job had been done properly, the customer wouldn't be complaining. We are not talking about a builder putting in a cheap kitchen. We are talking about a customer buying a cheap kitchen and paying for it to be fitted. The fitter did not quote on the basis of 'I'll only charge you this much, but as a trade off, you have to accept that I won't do the job properly.'

I'm sure there are plenty of people out there happy with this standard of work, it's just not for me. I do the job properly, and the customer pays for it. I'm not interested in a £1000 fit. So maybe were just talking in 2 different worlds, I don't understand yours, you don't understand mine. In which case 'Grunt', maybe you're right, the fitter did an OK job for a £1000.

And as for 'Punda', mankind has got more refined at working over the centuries. It used to be all cubits, paces, feet etc. Thank goodness we don't order kitchen units in feet. Millimetres works for the kitchen industry - and it works for me.

15. gint

gint Member

hear hear, well said.

16. grunt

grunt New Member

actually i now , having re read your post think the problem is your sentence construction , i know i felt you were talking about scribing solid surfaces to with .25mm of the wall , with regard to levels , the units are either level or they re not , but to say you work to within .25 mm tolerances is **** , ive never seen a vernier scale on a level yet , with regard to the rest 20 mm run out on units is also **** , a customer who supplies should take responsibilty for the stock he has supplied , different worlds ? yes definitely ! if i might ask , when was the last time your partner experienced passionate sex ?

17. aas

aas New Member

You really are a sad man.

18. grunt

grunt New Member

what makes you think im a man at all ?? its that kind of narrow minded ness that means you ll never be as good as you could be , whats makes you so sure the customer is telling the complete truth , wheres the proof , oh and whilst we re on the subject of being sad , i don't work out how many quarter turns im prepared to do to level a top , but if i did , it would be with the knowledge that a 1 mm pitch is commonj in bolts up to about an m9 , over that its extremely rare , and you certainkly won't find a 1 mm pitch on a kitchen unit leg , its closer to 3 mm , so ....busted !!.bored now