New Kitchen

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by markysparky, May 16, 2005.

1. markysparky

markysparky New Member

I am planning on getting a new kitchen installed soon and was just wondering who does the best kitchens without paying silly money for?
    I am planning on moving house next year and this is just for more appeal for selling!
    I know BnQ, Homebase etc, are the ones most jp would go to.
    But are these places the best deals and what is the quality like compared with the trade outlets?

Have looked at Ikea and seemed to have funny sized cupboards etc, and won't be getting one from there but any info on the rest will do.

CHEERS!

2. sparkedout2

sparkedout2 New Member

lots of decent kitchens from loads of places my own kitchen was from B+Q with some accesories from IKEA I liked the ikea units but were odd sizes and big queue if your gonna fit it youself you can mix and match also looked in homebase who I dont usually rate and their units seemed sturdy nice looking and reasonably priced.Everyone does a few similiar styles and most of them are ok if you want the best kitchen in the world and can afford to spend 10s of 000£s then you wont find it in a diy shop but the ones youve mentioned are all ok

3. PowerTool

PowerTool New Member

Last time I saw this discussed,Wickes came out on top as best overall.
    They tend to have slightly different unit/door heights from different suppliers,and Ikea ones have no back section to run pipes in.

4. I supply and fit or fit only any ones kitchens.

Taking into account all sorts or reasons - delivery promise, replacement of missing damaged parts, ease of fit, customer knowledge, then the best I have found are the Magnet trade ranges, then Howdens.

I know if I come along to fit MFI units, I will be in for some considerable time on the phone listening to appaling electronic classical music. Getting replacement parts can take days.

Magnet retail are slightly better.

IKEA kitchens are just plain odd, though their accessories are useful. As mentioned earlier, the service gap is small. Also depends how far you are from the shop, as it can mean an expensive journey and considerable time getting the right bits.

I've only done 1 Wickes kitchen and that was a nightmare, they designed it and it wouldn't fit. Trying to get the balance of right units took severak days

B&Q are OK, not convinced that they have the best quality for the price though

5. owen

owen New Member

I'm in the middle of fitting an MFI kitchen and it has been a nightmare - i was due to start fitting on the 7th April, actually started on the 5th May when everything finally turned up!! The customer (a mate of mine) has been on the phone countless times to try to get some sense out of them, in the end he's been asked not to phone customer services because he's too agressive!!

Howdens is the same stuff as MFI but because it's all in stock and assembled and the service is top notch (at my branch anyway) then that's my preference.

Like you say, ikea are ust plain odd and best avoided. I haven't fitted one yet, and i'll try to avoid doing so for as long as possible!

I also like wickes because they have solid chipboard backs, which add a bit to the rigidity.

6. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

I've just fitted an Ikea kitchen. The quality and price are excellent - and 0% for a year too.

There is no service gap so pipes either in the back or under them, either way it works OK and you get much deeper draws that pull all the way out on bearings.

Just check you get at least 615mm worktops to accomodate the extra depth of the cabinets.

7. diy geordie

diy geordie New Member

Don't rule out the ikea kitchen. We had a one in our previous house and it was excellent. No problem fitting it at all, and it was really solid.

We are thinking of installing another one in this house but wanting a gas hob and not sure how the plumber will get the gas up to the hob - any clues (or is that his problem?).
    Jimbo - where did you get your worktop from? Just curious.
    Thanks.

8. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

I actually got 600mm tops which was a mistake. Fortunately my tiles were 10mm thick slate so just about ended up OK. Would have been better with 615 tops or even bigger - live and learn!

9. DIYNewbie

DIYNewbie Guest

Hi, Just in process of fitting IKEA kitchen at the mo. We have the gas pipe for the hob coming up in unit next to hob. The drawers don't go all the way back so there is space.

Was not what we had planned tho, if your oven is going underneath hob, the oven does not us full depth of unit so gas pip can run up behind it. This was how our old kitchen was laid out.

I would agree with Jimbo about worktops we have the standard 60.6cm not much room for error, the walls are being tiled so will just scrape by.

IKEA do deeper worktops, but are custom made so more expensive and a few weeks to deliver.

10. Boff

Boff New Member

Find a local showroom that also have their own workshop - they'll be able to supply you with good quality 18mm rigid units, a large range of doors and all at a good price :)

11. diysurgeon

diysurgeon New Member

Just finished fitting a kitchen from howdens. Units came pre-assembled which save a lot of time. Space at the back for services. Good solid construction. Would recommend them.

12. markysparky

markysparky New Member

Thanks for the info guys! Just wondering, Do Howdens deal with JP or would I be better going through a fitter for this?

13. Howdens only deal with the trade, sorry, but that's why they can offer cheaper deals to us. Try to find someone who has an account with them.

14. Markysparky, where abouts are you - if its any use I'm near Skipton

15. markysparky

markysparky New Member

I might be a bit out of your way TKF, I live near Teeside

16. 3"CastIron

3"CastIron New Member

don't overlook some of the small family run kitchen companies about these days

i went down the normal b&q wickes and ikea path but was not really impressed with the units and some of the delivery stories anyway...

found a local kitchen company which operate out of a small factory unit supplying crown imperial kitchens (they order the doors in and make up the base units themeselves)

Anyway fantastic job (fitter was the son of manager)and I am well impressed with the end result.

17. I might be a bit out of your way TKF, I live near
    Teeside

I do go up and down to Darlo and Durham occassionally - family up there - but might be a bit difficult to sort out a kitchen

18. markysparky

markysparky New Member

If you can do it TKF then I can sort the kitchen out.
    But we are still looking at the minute and I will be replastering and altering the electrics and new ceiling is to go in, so it won't be just yet.
    But when I start I will be looking it done as quickly as possible as I have 2 young kids and would like the inconvenience over as soon as possible. But don't worry I will give plenty of notice and will be in touch when the time is right.

Speak to ya soon mate ;)

19. mer400

mer400 New Member

Try factory direct kitchens i think theres one in stockton, You tell them what you want though don't let them send a "designer" out hard sell but they should supply you with a reasonable price they have 18mm backs aswell so solid enough. they always try to beat other big companies on price and they come pre assembled.

20. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

One thing Ikea do have is a handy design tool you can download off their web site regardless of who's units you go for!