New Light fitting help

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Bumper, Sep 18, 2022.

1. Bumper

Bumper New Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] I got a new light. Removed existing but not sure how to fit the new one. There are 9 wires coming through the ceiling but the new light only has 3 ports (L, N, E).

Two cables have red, blue, yellow and green. One cable just has a single black wire.

The two yellows just loop back and two greens sleeved together to the earth. That leaves 5 (2 red, 2 blue, 1 black).

Question is how should I connect those to the new light with only 1 live and 1 neutral port?

On the pic, the far left had Blue and far right had Brown (to the old light).

I’m extra confused because it looks like mix of old and new colours and I don’t get what the yellow is at all. I read it was for extractor fans but It’s a living room light. One switch per light although there are two lights in the room and both lights are dead when this one is disconnected.

thanks, pics on reply

2. Bumper

Bumper New Member

3. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

You don't have any new colours, in the old colour code blue and yellow were used in 3 core cable, its common in 2 way lighting.

You need to connect the single blue on the right of your picture to the Live terminal on the new light, the blue and black on the left of your picture to the Neutral terminal of your light, the earths to the Earth terminal of the new light.

The yellows remain linked, and connected to nothing else, and the reds need connecting together and to nothing else (you will need an extra connector like the one on the yellow.

Switch off at the fuse box before attempting this as the reds, and possibly yellows will be live all the time regardless of whether the lights are on or off. I would throw the main switch to be on the safe side.

Bazza likes this.
  4. Bumper

Bumper New Member

Thank you very much for a really clear and quick reply!