New Oak handrail with painted spindles advice.

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by chuzzwuzzer, Oct 8, 2018.

1. chuzzwuzzer

chuzzwuzzer New Member

Just had a new oak handrail fitted with pine square chamfered spindles. Plan to clear satin varnish the oak handrail and white satin coat for the spindles. Is the best process to do all the varnish coats first, then do the spindle painting ? Best varnish recommendations also ?
    Cheers.

2. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

3. chuzzwuzzer

chuzzwuzzer New Member

Cheers. Osmo seems to get good reviews. Would I be better using something like zinsser bin on the bare pine spindles as a primer/undercoat. Whats the reasoning behind painting spindles first. I imagined it would be better to treat the Oak handrail first then if I managed to get paint on it it would be easier to wipe away or maybe not ?

4. chuzzwuzzer

chuzzwuzzer New Member

Also should I give the oak handrail a light rub down before applying the Osmo or should i rub down after first coat as I've read it will raise the grain after first coat ?

5. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

6. chuzzwuzzer

chuzzwuzzer New Member

Cheers Kiab. Its just that theres old varnished wood on the old newel posts and sides of stairs that will need rubbing down and I guess zinssser or something similar and just thought would it be better to do the whole lot with zinsser ?

7. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Thought spindles were bare wood,in that case use the Zinsser.

8. chuzzwuzzer

chuzzwuzzer New Member

Spindles are bare wood. Newel and spindles and all old varnished wood going to be white. Caps oak with handrail .Here's a pic: Stairs.jpg

KIAB likes this.
  9. Looks just like what I'm doing. I think I even have that same stair carpet. Who did you use to supply the handrails, caps and spindles?

10. chuzzwuzzer

chuzzwuzzer New Member

All supplied by our chippy. Chamfered the spindles himself and think his mate makes the caps.

11. chuzzwuzzer

chuzzwuzzer New Member

Right so : Leyland trade acrylic primer undercoat on bare wood. 2 coats?
    Rub down and zinsser bin shellac on varnished wood. Would I need to use the acylic primer over the top of the zinsser ?
    Apply Polyx Oil to the oak.
    Satinwood finish over Primer 2 coats. Recommendations for best satinwood ?
    Cheers.

12. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

Use Zinsser Allcoat Interior Satin, no need to use a dedicated primer as Allcoat primes, undercoats and top coats.

KIAB likes this.
  13. chuzzwuzzer

chuzzwuzzer New Member

Astra cheers but didn't see your reply. Already done a couple of coats with the acrylic primer now. Can anyone recommend the best satin type white paint for the woodwork ? Was all set on Dulux diamond satinwood but after reading a few dodgy reviews not so sure now. Are the water based paints still hard to get a good finish ?

14. Astramax

You could still use Allcoat Satin over the acrylic primer. I use a fair amount of Dulux Diamond Satin and find it ok, with practice water based paints are fine in fact that's all I use these days. Get some decent synthetic brushes, Purdy's are my weapon of choice but plenty of other makes on sale at Screwfix.

KIAB likes this.
  15. chuzzwuzzer

chuzzwuzzer New Member

How quickly does the Dulux diamond satin go off. I'm not the quickest painter and with all the fiddly bits round the oak. Will I be getting in trouble with it going off too quick or does it stay fairly workable ? I'm using the Harris brushes set from Screwfix. I take it they will be ok ?

16. Astramax

Crown FastFlow Satin has better opacity than the Dulux Diamond Satin, you must use the FastFlow undercoat with the Crown product as it is a 'system'.

17. chuzzwuzzer

chuzzwuzzer New Member

Another undercoat. Think I might go nuts! The dulux sounds more attractive!

18. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

19. Astramax

You would be best advised to also use an undercoat over the primer if you are using the Dulux Diamond Satin!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. chuzzwuzzer

chuzzwuzzer New Member

Oh I thought the Leyland acrylic was a primer/undercoat. Looks like I'm going to be busy