New Oil Tank installed is it safe?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Javageddon, May 27, 2021.

1. Javageddon

Javageddon New Member

Hello,
    I would like some advice please!
    I have just had a new 1300lt oil tank installed, does this look like a good and safe build?
    Nothing is fixed, most of it is relying on gravity. I'm not an engineer but would have thought that for the best weight distribution the pillars should have been under the ends of the tank(?)
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

I was always under the impression that there should be something in place to contain the oil if there was a leak, but that might just be for commercial premises

3. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

That’s almost certainly a bounded tank.

you are right however. The span between the piers is too large abs it would have in theory been stronger is they were closer together. However, don’t worry. It looks a neat install albeit ugly because of that board on the back protecting the shed

4. ejenner

ejenner Active Member

To me answering this depends on what that slab is made from?

If there is any flexibility in that material supporting the tank then it can bend and push the pillars apart.

Our tank is a fair bit bigger than that but it is supported on concrete blocks placed under each rib.

5. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

That looks like paving slabs for the top surface with some sort of plank underneath it? The only thing I can think of is a concrete gravel board and that's not very strong at all. I wouldn't accept that if it was mine. The piers should be mortared too.

6. Javageddon

Javageddon New Member

Yes it's paving slabs on the top supported by what I assume are reinforced concrete lintels (x6).
    Like I said nothing is fixed, only the bottom row of blocks which are sort of sunk into the concrete base, the corner slabs can be moved.
    We've questioned it with the company who installed it, and we've been told that the tank will weigh it all down so nothing will move, and the oil company has delivered 1000lts of oil.
    I'm not overly convinced!

7. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

I don't think they are lintels but difficult to see. What depth are they? Min depth for a lintel would be 65 mm

I suspect if it was too dire the tanker drive might have refused to deliver but then again maybe not.

8. Creek

Creek Member

Why not have the tank at ground level and use a tigerloop?
    I thought oil tank could be below boiler height if a tigerloop is used.

9. Dan Greenslade

Dan Greenslade Active Member

I think if you are worried about the support it may be an idea if you can get to it, to dig yourself a hole filled with concrete and use an adjustable prop to support the middle.

10. ejenner

ejenner Active Member

As it actually has oil in it now I think that suggestion by Dan would be the thing to do. Even if those are lintles the reinforcement is to help with flexing. The whole thing (including the tank) is going to be subject to a lot of expansion and contraction with temperature and weather and it just does not look right having the supports outside of the loaded area.

11. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

The basic concept is fine but it needs to be properly put together.

12. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

They look like lintels to me. Wouldn’t be the first time they’ve been used for that purpose. Have a look to see if there is any flexing in them now. If so then ask for a central pier to be built.

total loading is probably about a ton so spread over 6 lintels doesn’t sound extreme to me

13. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

I’m with @Creek

It looks awful and the structural design isn’t the best.

14. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

Not the best executed design, but the lintels should be steel reinforced so aren't likely to move.
    I think I'd be inclined to build a fence/trellis around it.

15. Javageddon

Javageddon New Member

So the general consensus is that it is the right idea but poorly executed. Not the kind of thing to expect from an OFTEC approved company!

16. The Happy Builder

The concrete lintels should have three course of brickwork above them, if subjected to a point load they will snap, you cannot have a joist directly onto one for that reason.

This tank stand seems completely OTT, I cannot see why the tank can’t be on the slabs on the ground with the fire break behind it.

17. heatyman

heatyman Well-Known Member

I cant see that the lintels would ever be subjected to a point load. The tank will never give an uneven distribution. This is not an uncommon way of supporting a tank and meets the written specs. Just not very easy on the eye, but that can be rectified with trim around the platform.

18. The Happy Builder

It’s definitely not easy on the eye :rolleyes:

19. stuart44

stuart44 Screwfix Select

That's the problem when you do a job for someone. If it doesn't look pretty they get worried. Looks like something the farmers round here do.

20. The Happy Builder

The issue with the lintels under the slabs is that they are only one course 65 mm lintels and aren’t “bump proof” someone being over enthusiastic jumping up onto the slabs could possibly snap one, also the masonry above a lintel spreads the old across them.

They can snap whilst the masonry is being built above them, not only should there be three courses of masonry above them you should allow the three courses to go off before running the wall on up, the manufacturers state this in there installation instructions, one way or another such as this:

“All lintels should be bedded on a level full mortar bed. For spans greater than 1200mm temporary support should be used until the first 3 courses of masonary have matured sufficiently for the support to be removed. In certain cases the door frame, window frame or timber former for the opening are sufficient for this purpose but this is dependant upon the quality and material of the frame or former.”.

Dry bedding slabs on one course 65 mm lintels does not prevent the lintels snapping, using deeper three course lintels should be okay.

The fire barrier is to protect the tank if the shed catches fire, not to protect the shed in the highly unlikely event of the tank being on fire. The chances of the tank being on fire are highly remote, unlike the shed which definitely is a fire risk.

I still cannot see why it couldn’t be at ground level.