New patio, slight movement

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by TheGrovesy, Aug 2, 2016.

Tags:
  1. TheGrovesy

TheGrovesy Member

I have just finished laying my new patio using Indian limestone but have not yet don't the pointing. However I have noticed that 3 or 4 of the slabs have a very slight amount of movement (when you step on opposite corners). By slight I mean pretty much not visible but you can hear the slab moving.
    I laid these as suggested on a full bed of sharp sand cement mix (which for the record is a real pain in the behind to get things level).
    Should I worry about this movement or will the pointing stop it? I don't want it to starthe damaging the pointing in 6 months time. Any suggestions. Thanks.

2. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

Speaking as a DIYer, I don't think there's any getting round it... if they're moving, at all, then they aren't laid quite properly. I know it's difficult, (because I've done it myself), but I'd relay the slabs in question. If you don't then you will come to regret it. It's no so much that the pointing will suffer, but that the slabs may crack!.

Good luck,

Regards,

Cando

3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

It would be foolish to ignore it and hope for the best, as said above take up and re-bed the slabs in question.

4. HiGrove.

I fear summat has gorn wrong. You may have laid a full bed of the right stuff, but did you tamp the slabs down smoothly so's they remained level, or did they 'wobble' as you 'bedded' them? And was the sub-layer nice and firm and solid and stuff too?

My in-law's patio was seemingly done well a goodly number of years back, and it's still level with no perceptible movement in the slabs. But still some of the 'grout' cracks and loosens over the year and she has to repoint bits every so often (a real pain to match the buff colour...).

So, if there's any movement at all, then I fear you will have significant issues if you don't sort it first...

If only a few slabs are loose, and if you are confident the rest are ok, and if you can't face redoing it (and it will be a pain - 'cos any further mortar you add will raise the level of these slabs...), then you could try very firmly tamping down some mortar into the grout lines so's they fill the wobble space and hope that that will sort it.

But I fear it'll only delay the inevitable.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Poor sub base, lack of compacting!

6. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

I'm going to say, muck (mix) not wet enough.

7. TheGrovesy

TheGrovesy Member

Thanks for the comments. I had a feeling it would be take them up and resit them.

Definitely not poor sub-base, it's solid. And I would say the mix was right. As I say only a couple have this movement and all on the large slabs.

I think the issue was that when I was trying to level them it's fairly easy to do one final hit in the corner but then the middle doesn't go down accordingly so you end up with a slight see saw affect.

Thanks for the help.