New Pebbledash - Painting

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by aldy65, May 5, 2021.

1. aldy65

aldy65 Member

Had a new extension pebble dashed to match the existing house.

Looking to get this painted next week when the weather is good. Would a stabilising solution be needed first over it all before the top coat of white? Any of other tips / advice?

Thanks,

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

A stabilizing solution shouldn't be required as it's new and hopefully in a good sound condition. It will be tough going as it is the first time around so to speak so thinning the first coat about 20% will help lay the masonry paint on. A 4" long pile masonry Jumbo roller is a good choice (if you can find one) used in combination with a brush works well, doesn't have to be a 4" masonry brush, any brush that works well for you really is good enough. You will require a minimum of 2 coats and 3 for a superb finish is not unusual. A good branded masonry paint is a mustnot a cheapo make from the sheds, having said that Screwfix sell the retail version (not Trade) of Sandtex which is good value at the moment.

3. aldy65

aldy65 Member

Thanks, its been done about 3-4 weeks now. Should stabilizing solution still not be used? Or wont do no harm using some?

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

You asked would a stabilizing solution be needed............you have nothing to stabilize.....it's a newly finished sound surface! ;)

Last edited: May 5, 2021
  5. haigie

haigie New Member

Having painted the entire exterior of my house last Summer... be prepared for a tough few days of painting!

The Captain Chunk really made a difference for us - https://www.thepaintshed.com/axus-grey-captain-chunk-roller-sleeve-xxlong-pile-9-axu-rg9xxl - you'll want a quality 9" roller to go with it as we broke several cheaper frames due to the weight this thing carries.

First coat you essentially want to slap it on, as Astra says, dilute the paint around 20% and don't worry massively about any parts that are not getting 100% coverage. You'll fix that on the second coat.

For brushes, I'd say something long and thin (4"+ in length) for your main and also a block brush for use in 'hammering' the paint in. My house is old granite dash, so the stones and crevices could be quite difficult, which might not be as big a problem on a modern day pebble dashing with smaller stones.

I'd also recommend some plastic sheeting for the windows and loads of dust sheeting around the structure as, especially when the paint is diluted, has a tendency to travel. Especially if like me, you had that captain chunk on a cheap frame which broke when the sleeve was fully loaded and it went rolling down your driveway...