New plastic soil pipe to old cast

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by steve320, Dec 16, 2004.

1. steve320

steve320 New Member

Hi guys.

Is it possible to connect new grey soil pipe to existing cast.
    Me old mum wants her bathroom changed around a bit which in itself is quite easy but where her existing soil pipe goes down through the floor it connects into a female joint.
    What I need to know is it possible to carefully remove the male end of the pipe ( cast ) and then replace with new plastic as this will allow me to add branches etc etc etc.
    Thought about replacing all of the soil pipe with new but this would involve digging up her down stairs toilet floor and this is not a route that she wants to go down.

Any thoughts please gents (or ladies)

Steve

2. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

Hi Steve. Screwfix sell one type and Wickes sell two types of rubber coupling.Look on the shelves by the undergropund drainage section. These are designed to connect clay sewer pipes to 110mm plastic - but I measured up our cast iron soil pipe (4 inches) and both types would work a treat! (one type has an internal annulus of rubber for the push fit seal, the other has good old fashioned jubilee clips on the outside). I have to stress that I havn't done this (I have used them on clay pipes though) but I really can't see any objection for your application. Unless someone knows differently...?

3. steve320

steve320 New Member

Hi Pete.

Thanks for the info.

I will have a look at these but just to check, would one end of this insert into the female end of the existing cast pipe ??????

4. bodget&scarpers

bodget&scarpers New Member

i in the same position,and measured the pipes ,annd they will fit.
    but the ol cast was fitted well,and then lead sealed,as it was ment 2 b, plumb mates av said they a pig 2 get out
    dont really want 2 replace the whole lot,but any thoughts u guys,as i dont want 2 crack other pipes.

5. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

Hi Steve - no they are designed to fit over the outer diameter of the pipes (I suppose you could call this the "male" ends). However, Marley (sold in B and Q warehouse again in the underground soil department)do make a plastic adaptor which is designed to go into the "female" part of a clay soil pipe and connect to plastic - but being brown - this may only be suitable for underground use. (I notice that B and Q also sell the rubber connectors I mentioned). You can hire a special cutting tool for cutting the cast iron pipe off cleanly to leave your "male" end. It has a ratchet device to allow short backward and forward strokes to cut through the pipe.

Another method if you want to connect to the female bit of the cast iron pipe to 110mm plastic would to use a straight WC connector. This should work but I'm a bit exposed here having never tried this - hopefully an expert will also respond..

6. neil0123

neil0123 New Member

hi steve320 cut cast iron soil pipe where ever u decide to cut it back to ground level if thats what u decide and insert a MKES110 into the inside of the cast iron soil pipe the finns with ensure a tight fit the the other end will except 110mm plastic if you decide to cut it at ground level u wont need to do any digging can purchase from city plumbing

7. steve320

steve320 New Member

Hi Pete & Neil

I would prefer to cut the cast off down low but she doesn't want to disturb her nice fitted bottom toilet.
    Hopefully the straight WC connector as mentioned earlier will do the job. It will be out of site in the rear of a fitted vanity unit so providing it fits into the existing female ok then I can see no reason as to why it won't work.

Thanks for some top advice

8. MR MISTERY !

MR MISTERY ! New Member

Steve,
    you could also try a builders merchant that sell 'osma' soil and vent products. They have the correct rubber fitting for the purpose you describe.
    Good luck.

9. havermonkey

havermonkey New Member

Hi can I jump in here, my mum's builders claim to be unable to source the right fitting for a plastic grey water connection into an old clay pipe but they have cut out a section of the old pipe already and need a t-piece to fit. Does anyone know if this can be found easily? She's had a great big hole in her drive for weeks already. The builders are calling it a 5.5 inch pipe but I've just measured it and the bore is 4 inches as described above so thanks for that!

10. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Hi, if your mums builder really stuck, he could always use one of these, not very good looking, but always work.

clay-to-plastic.jpg

11. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Can you upload a pic of the current setup.