New Ring Video Doorbell Wired

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Paul Martin, Apr 22, 2021.

1. Thanks Teki, Just been Googling "What's in the box which brings up this: Photo.
    the link shown there is a plain wire link with spade connectors, mine just has plain tinned wires!
    it clearly doesn't belong in this kit.

What do you think about doing the install and registration whilst the unit is temporarily wired on a loose tail?
    If it all works and the site for fixing gives the required view, presumably all will reconnect automatically after power is restored?

Attached Files:

2. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

Ideally you want to test it in the location where it will be installed so you can check WiFi coverage.

No problems in using some temporary wires to connect it there so long as the transformer outputs the correct voltage and can supply the necessary current.

Does the supplied manual mention the fuse?

3. Good news about the temp install, I had not even considered the possibility that the Wi-Fi signal might not stretch to the front door1
    Good point, since my "Alfred" cam (old Samsung phone) frequently used to disconnect, it's directly above the front door!
    Manual doesn't mention it at all, I was thinking that it was there in case you were just re-routing the power via the old doorbell, as a jumper to isolate the old bell, but that would only need a plain wire link.
    I'm probably just being overly cautious knowing it was a returned item but I think It might be wise to alert BT Shop to my concerns, just to cover my own @ss!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2022
  4. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

Attached Files:

5. Thanks for that Teki, but the heat shrink has some writing on it, maybe branding I don't know so I don't want to remove it in case it is needed for a claim if the unit proves faulty.
    Here's a pic of the other side of the link, you can just see the start of the burned bit at the bottom right of the "resistor" body and the writing.
    not sure the advice you gave to Brandon would be relevant in this case as I'm not transiting through the old bell unit, it would be a direct connection across the transformer secondary.

Attached Files:

6. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

Sometimes heatshrink has the part number of it.

The white mark may just come off with some isopropyl alcohol. Something may have melted in the vicinity and left the mark on it.

You haven't mentioned which transformer/chime you have?

7. Hi Teki, well, wadaya know! gone with Isopropyl alcohol!:)

The transformer is a Friedland D753.
    Primary voltage: 220/240v AC. / Secondary voltage: 8v AC. / Secondary current: 1.0A.

Had a word with BT Shop asking how they test returned items for re-sale, when the box received contains non standard bits and the seal on the back of the unit covering the power terminals has not been removed!

I'll run a test over the weekend and see if it works, if not it's going back!

I've removed the heat shrink over the body of the "resistor?" but it has no value banding.
    it has a pale green body engraved with a lower case "b" in a circle and next to that is engraved "211" with "4A" underneath.
    Seems it may some kind of fuse, as you said earlier, hence the short reading.

As I'll be wiring it, the doorbell, directly across the secondary contacts on the transformer, would it be wise to insert this "fuse?" in series on one leg of the feed at the transformer end when making the permanent fix so that any problem would just take the Bell down and not the Household Lighting?

8. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

It's probably a wired 4A fuse. You should insert it in series with the supply to Ring.

If you have a circuit breaker for the lighting circuit/doorbell transformer, if there is a fault it will just trip.

9. Nah! Old, Old kit, Mem Dix Ceramic 10 Amp Unit!o_O
    So it'd fuse the whole house lighting if the bell circuit wasn't protected with an inline fuse and then I'd be scrabbling around in the dark!
    (back in the days before Mobile phones)
    Fings was 'ard in dem days!:D

Teki likes this.
  10. Tony Goddard

The intention of the fuse I would imagine was to use if bridging out an old door chime, the bell transformers are not continuous rated, so if the ring failed and shorted the circuit the fuse would blow.

Inserting it in series with the transformer on the output side will do no harm and offer some protection - old bell transformers had output fuses, not anymore.

The MEM DIX fuse unit was out of date in the 1950's, personally I would advocate replacing it with something more modern like an unswitched spur with a 3A fuse or a clock point.

You will probably find the Dix is wired to fuse both Live and Neutral, we havn't done this for 50 years, the fuse wire in the live side should be of the appropriate rating (5A) and the neutral be over rated (say 30A or 1.0 wire) so the live always blows.

Attached Files:

11. lol, mine's not as clean as that Tony!
    It's not blown since the early 60's, that was when I remember attempting to thread the wire through by candle light!
    I agree, the lighting wiring needs replacing never mind the fuse unit!
    I rewired the power in the seventies for my parents whilst doing my own house at the same time but never got round to doing the lighting in either house, too much mess and disruption at my time of life to consider it now.
    The power draw these days with mainly LED bulbs should I hope ease the load and as long as I don't disturb the cables, they'll either out last me, or at worst, save my relatives the cost of a cremation!

12. Hi Guys, did a temp install this afternoon and all seems to be well.
    I've heard several folks say that the voltage is reported in the App somewhere, I've looked under "Health" but apart from "Signal Strength" which bears the unhelpful statement RSSI-57 in Green print there is no mention of any Power monitoring so I can only assume that this 8VAC @1.0A is adequate.
    Just have to fathom out how to link it to alexa for an internal ringer before I disconnect it all this evening.
    Bit miffed that the 30 day cloud storage trial has started without any authorisation as it will be at least a month till I do the final fix
    Thank you all for your help and advice.

13. Leahwawrin

Leahwawrin New Member

Where do I install the chime Box jumper cable between ( we have a front and a back doorbell to the house but only changing the front one)

i renumbered them incase you can’t see. Thanks!!

Attached Files:

14. Tony Goddard

That looks like a US 2 door chime unit and US wiring?

These units were never very popular in the UK as we don't usually have rear door bells!

Anyway, normally in the states the terminals are labelled Trans, Front & Rear. Yours are numbered, so you will need to work out which red wire runs back to the transformer, which to the front door, and which to the back.

I'm going to guess 1 is transformer, so I would disconnect 2 or 3, then see if the front or back still ring - that identifies which is front and back if you see what I mean.

Please check first that the system runs from a transformer and not the mains for obvious safety reasons.

Alternatively, if you know the make of the chime, ie Nu Tone etc.. then you might be able to get a wiring diagram off line.

15. Leahwawrin

Leahwawrin New Member

Thanks so much for the reply. We do have a transformer at our breaker box for it.
    So just to confirm I would want to figure out which wire is for the front door and which one is the transformer and then put the jumper wire screwed onto those two terminals.

16. CharleJack

CharleJack New Member

Regarding your question, it's always a good idea to ensure your existing setup can handle the power requirements of the new Ring Video Doorbell Wired. From what you've shared about your Friedland D753 system, it looks like your secondary voltage is 8v AC, which falls within the specified range of 8-24 VAC for the new Ring doorbell.