New roof

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Dag, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Dag

Dag Guest

Hi all.
    The underfelt on my 1970 built semi has rotted and split in a number of areas and now there are a couple of leaks into the loft. The roof has interlocking concrete tiles and the house style is like the one in the picture.
    Ive had a roofer give a price to remove the tiles, felt and battens and replace with new. He's also given me a price to reuse the old tiles.
    Given the age of the house will the tiles still be ok, or should i replace them with new?
    The roof area is about 35sqm on each side and he has quoted £2400 to do the work reusing the existing tiles. Another £900 if I want new tiles. This is north east England Is that a decent price?
    Thanks for any help.

[​IMG]

2. Yes, rip his hand of.

3. Dag

Dag Guest

Do concrete tiles have a lifespan? I'm in two minds about having new tiles fitted and whether it's worth the extra £900 to have new tiles.

4. Depending on the tile, minimum 50yrs.
    You should be able to knock the cost down a bit, about £200 to £300.

Another option, see your nearest reclamation yard, they might offer you some thing for the tiles, or at least strip them free of charge.
    This would then bring the roofers costs down.

5. Dag

Dag Guest

Ok, thanks for the advice.

6. getroofingquotes

getroofingquotes New Member

As long as your happy with the outcome of it. Then that would be okay.

7. surfermick

surfermick New Member

be sure you can get replacement tiles for any breakages before he starts,there are usually some tiles that are cracked etc and need replacing. i havnt found a tile that cant be replaced yet, but best to be sure of stock before he starts.