New router cutter

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Grudge, Sep 25, 2006.

1. Grudge

Grudge New Member

I purchased a TCT cutter for cutting my sister-in-laws worktops and while it has done an excellent job it looks like it has burn marks on it and I am wondering if it it now blunt. I made about 6 cuts, surely the cutters last longer than that.

I am a DIYer and this is my first use of using a router and jig to cut work tops.

Any advice would be appreciated as I will be fitting my own worktops in the next couple of weeks and need to know if I need to purchase a new cutter for the router.

2. Boff

Boff New Member

Expect to get one joint (male & female) plus the bolt recesses with one cutter. Yes they are expensive and no they don't last very long :)

If you're going to be doing a lot then think about getting a replaceable tip cutter.

3. Shedmen

Shedmen New Member

No they do not last long I thought I found some cheap cutters that might work reasonably well. However they were a sale price which is now over. If you search the threads you will find the consensus of opinion is that replaceable tip cutters give the best performance against price. I notice Titman's prices are going up 5% on the 1st

Shedmen

4. bernieeccles

bernieeccles Member

Same old story.You get what you pay for,cheap cutters go blunt very quickly and they don't resharpen very well.

If your cutter has a burnt look to it then it is blunt. You can easily blunt a cutter by not using the router correctly and not cutting at the correct rate.

Suggest you maybe look at a website such as Trend for tips on using a router correctly.

5. Kitchen Makeover

Kitchen Makeover New Member

When I first started out, I found my cutters showed signs of burning, you do get what you pay for but sometimes if you go too slow with the router it does tend to burn the cutter, dont force the router just try to make your passes a bit faster, if you're router is powerfull enough you should have no problems. The more expensive cutters do sharpen OK.

6. Ruffnek

Ruffnek New Member

I looked on the titman website but i couldnt find a two flute replaceable tip 12.7mm 1/2 in shank. Can someone advise where i should be looking? I did however find the the above but rated for industrial use ie not for use with portable routers.

7. gint

gint Member

the replacable tip cutters are not 2 flute. just single cutter, dosnt sound right after using 2 flute cutters for years but these are 100% better. wouldnt go back to 2 flute cutters again. the single reversible tip cutters are more cost effective also

8. Filo

Filo New Member

If you cut modern man made laminates and fibre boards, try using a resin remover, (sold by Sfix) before scrapping your cutters, especially mitre blades, I use 94 tooth 305s and they cost a bomb. Filo