New shed advice for base and window please

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by joelmb, Oct 1, 2013.

1. joelmb

joelmb New Member

Hi guys. Just bought this shed /0/]http://www.allgardenfun.com/shire-abri-shiplap-shed-7ft-x-7ft.asp#DL[2410]/0/
    It will be sited on slighlty sloped soil.

A few questions; it comes with a t&g floor. What would be a good compromise between simplicity and longevity for a base? Dont really want to pour a full concrete foundation and beleive it would prob be overkill anyway. Is concrete slabs on levelled sand best? Someone suggested treated timber posts to raise and make level, with the supporting beams fixed to those?

Secondly, the window supplied is horticultural glass which I know is easily shattered leaving dangerous shards and given our very busy two year old. I'm not sure if it would be one pane or four with the design of the criss cross wood frame (-might make it stronger/safer?) But am wondering if I'm best fitting something more safe like 4mm polycarb (way too expensive though at £37 for 81x81 pane as have been quoted) or similar would be best? I want to keep the aesthetic of glass as much as possible rather than installing plasticky looking flimsy styrene which I hate. Making it as secure as possible also a big consideration - most styrene windows I've seen could easily be pushed out of it's beading which I guess thinking about it is the weak point. Any advice on this?

Lastly, we'd like to top coat treat it in two colours. What should we use? Again cost a big consideration. Do we need to treat roof/floor / floor underside before construction for best longevity?

Cheers in advance!

2. Sit the shed on some concrete fence posts, they wont rot.

thirteen likes this.
  3. joelmb

joelmb New Member

ok thanks. scuse ignorance but not sure how that works... posts laid horizontally? how many for a shed this size?

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Probably 5 of  7'6" ones(if you can get them) laid on the ground at 90º to any bearers the shed has.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

5. DIYDave

DIYDave Guest

With regards to replacing the glass, I've just done the same with my shed;
    2mm glass as supplied was cracked anyway and I wanted to improve security
    I used 6mm laminated glass and chucked away the thin beading's used with the 2mm glass
    Fitted a new frame inside and out, nothing fancy, just used treated 50x25mm timber and ran a bead of clear silicone around the frame on both sides of the glass to keep water tight

The laminated glass is quite heavy so you will need to beef up the fixings anyway if you just have the thin, rubbish beading's as supplied

I was also amazed at the price of perspex / poly sheets and they usually end up getting scratched or turning a milky colour after some years
    The laminated glass i had cut from a glaziers, 600x600mm and it was around £19.00 (South East, Essex)

Good luck

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I could be wrong but the shed doesn't seem to have any bearers.

7. joelmb

joelmb New Member

Indeed, will buy the timber for bearers.

So would you guys not recommend what seems to me easiest, given the slope and for levelling, the pressure treated timber post solution? This just seems easiest on face of it not having to level with sand or dig soil / lay concrete. With concrete posts or slabs will have to level with sand to raise the concrete supports at the lower end of slope... or is timber meeting ground really a bad idea?

8. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

T&G floor, don't want to be putting too many badminton rackets on that, looks like it's expecting to be sat on a complete pad of conc or slabs

9. joelmb

joelmb New Member

Hi Sean are you inferring that the t&g floor will be heavy in itself so needs decent support?

10. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

quite the opposite, I suspect it will be quite weak, and will need a close bearer grid below - 400mm centres, or it will bounce - lots

whatever you use below the shed, lay some 1200 gauge plastic down on top before you sit the shed down on it

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

How level is the ground you're putting the shed on?

Basically you are going to have to build a base of at least 70mm x 45mm treated joists at 400mm centres with a continuous perimiter to support your t&g floor..

It depends on what you are putting in the shed and what it is sitting on as to its foundations, If it's on level, hard ground and you're putting a lawnmower in it you might get away with properly treated joists on the ground or flagstones or if you're going to install a lathe you will need a proper concrete base.

12. joelmb

joelmb New Member

Ah ok. Disapointing, i'd rather hoped t&g floor wouild be sturdier than say osb. at least that's what this company reckon but maybe thats specific to their sheds not shire's!

Ultimately I'm seeing wood touching ground aint good now. Saw this site and the cuttting soil away 2nd solution to make a level area (then using concrete slabs/posts presumably) probably seems sensible.

A concrete posts cheaper / better than say using slabs then guys? Really got to keep costs down!

13. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

you might find it's got a 25mm ish T&G floor, which would be reasonable strong, but at that price I doubt it - and - it would still need plenty of support below

the more support the better, so if you can get hold of some cheap slabs and lay the entire area (plus 6'') - freecycle or feegle? 

as sheds go 7x7 isnt tiny, so over time there'll be a fair bit of weight in it

14. joelmb

joelmb New Member

Hi Chippie I'm not using for anything as intensive as a workshop, just storing an electric mower, two bikes and some camping gear (and whatever other junk the wife throws in no doubt)

The ground is soil but not tried digging yet so not sure how hard, and a bit of a slope, probably a gradient of 6 inches I'd guesstimate from back to front end of shed I'd say.

Thanks for the bearing frame recommendation I'll use that...

15. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

looks like the floor is built using the same T&G as the walls - 12mm

16. joelmb

joelmb New Member

Thanks Sean I'll hed your slab advice I reckon. You mentioning "plus 6" reminds me of another question; I read somewhere (that ground force blokey i think, haha!) the bearing base should actually be slightly smaller than the footprint of the shed so water doesnt run down shed walls onto base and collect underneath; I'd prefer the concrete / bearing base to be larger as you advise though!

Edit: yeah 12mm - sounds flimsy now you mention 25mm! So yep more support the better then...

17. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

I suppose if you laid the slabs slightly dished towards the middle the water might collect in the middle, and managed to make the grout completely waterproof - but you'd not do that would you :)

if you can find some of the old council slabs, they make great shed bases - but bring a friend as they aren't light

18. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I can't believe the base doesn't have bearers attached(at least 40mm). Never seen a shed supplied with flat underneath!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

19. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

it probably has, but 40mm across 7' is what I'd call a spacer, not a bearer - so needs plenty of supporting

20. joelmb

joelmb New Member

Um, don't know, it doesn't say it has... guess I'd better confirm that then!

p.s Really? from 'Changing Rooms' fame?