New shower overflows

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by planethome, May 21, 2018.

1. planethome

planethome New Member

We have just had a new shower fitted but the tray overflows after a few minutes. The plumber says he can make some adaptations to the trap but that we also need to reduce the flow of water from the shower heads. we really don't want to do either of these things. Presumably all parts of the trap are needed and we like the good flow of water. Are there any other ideas?

2. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Obviously the trap is wrong. Needs to be done properly.

planethome likes this.
  3. It does sound as tho' the waste pipe from the trap doesn't have enough fall over its whole length.

Having to reduce the flow from the shower to compensate is clearly not reasonable - the shower should be designed and installed to cope.

Did the plumber make any comments before or during install about the waste pipe run? I suspect - fear - the 'fall' is limited and he didn't want to carry out the extra work involved in sorting this; it could possibly have required a lot of further work such as notching joists, or digging further down, making a new exit hole in the external wall, adding a new connection to the soil stack outside (or wherever the waste pipe goes) or even raising the shower tray height... and he thought "I can 'get away' with this...")

Of course, that is total speculation on my part, so please don't assume tat the plumber has taken an easy route with this install, but there are proper cures for this, and you reducing the shower flow is not one of them.

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2018
    planethome likes this.
  4. I hope it's as simple as that, but I fear not. The plumber said he could make 'adjustments', but that they'd still have to reduce their shower flow.

5. Planethome, you need to have a frank discussion with your plumber, and get him to explain in layman's terms what the real cause of this slow draining is.

Play the 'layman' - for that is what you are - and just ask perfectly reasonable but innocent questions; "Can you explain why the waste doesn't take away the water fast enough? Surely the trap is designed for a good flow - why isn't this one doing so? I don't know anybody else who needs to turn their shower flow down in order to drain their tray - should I get in touch with the tray manufacturer and ask why their's is so pants...?" etc.

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

If ur pumping out loads of water rapidly and have a rainfall shower head, fitting the right trap may help, but as above, also depends on how waste pipe is run, fall, length, what its emptying into, etc

I wonder how much pipework is old with the new shower connected up to it - shouldn’t be a problem as long as pipe runs are all good

Take a look at ‘high flow’ or ‘turbo’ shower wastes. These are designed to deal quickly with a higher volume of water - ur plumber should know about these

Hopefully he will sort this all out for you without too much grief :)

7. planethome

planethome New Member

He has said that the trap is a bad design and that he has asked for advice from the sales people who have recommended reducing the flow. Our other shower had a step up and when I asked about whether that has affected things, he said we still have a good drop. When I take the plastic bits out, the shower drains well- if that's a clue. I suggested that I ask a neighbour what they did and he got quite shirty... said he doesn't need advice from them.

8. planethome

planethome New Member

Thank you- I didn't know you could replace them without it being a big job

9. planethome

planethome New Member

Thank you- I'm hoping the fact that it drains well when i take out the bits means it is an easy fix

10. Hmmm, a plumber with a fragile ego... Good luck :rolleyes:

I'm guessing that these plastic bits are there to trap hairs and stuff? They can be lifted out quite easily? Yes, with these removed the flow is bound to be improved - until the trap or waste pipe blocks...

Look, I don't know what the situation is here, I only have my suspicions. If the new shower is lower than the original, then that could be a good clue.

I think it's time for you to contact the manufacturer of the shower tray and trap and ask them.

This is going to be messy... :oops: The guy has finished the install and is obviously going to be very reluctant to remove it all and start again! So, what the 'best' solution is, I'm not sure.

I mean, if you could live with using drain chemicals and a blocked drain pump every, ooh, 6 months or so (if folk in your household have long hair), then a solution could be to remove the trap's innards. But that is obviously a significant compromise from you, so the plumber would have to acknowledge this with a sizeable reduction in the installation cost for your trouble.

Or, he needs to sort it properly...

How does the waste pipe leave the house? How far does it travel? How easy is it to get to - would the floor need lifting? Where does this pipe go when it leaves the house?

11. I suspect that's complete BS.

That rings warning bells.

Taking the plastic bits out makes it flow more easily, and that is compensating for the poor draining issue elsewhere. It obviously doesn't cure the 'cause', and it might also lead to longer-term problems by not properly trapping what goes down the plug'ole.

12. planethome

planethome New Member

I'm really worried now. It's about 4 metres to the outside wall but I think the waste is in the other corner so even further. I daren't ask him whether it's a mistake with all of that again. He's got to come back for one more day but I've already paid him for the work so don't think I'll get a reduction. He says it's a fault with the trap and that's it. I'll ring the suppliers etc. Thanks so much.

13. planethome

planethome New Member

If we had just moved in and found this I'd be happy with a 'make do'/compromise but this is brand new and having a great shower was the main reason I have had it all done :(

14. It's a hellish situation, Planet, but not of your making.

If the shower simply leaked or creaked or broke, then it would be an obvious - FIX IT OR ELSE! But here the shower is kinda working, but not as it should.

Keep in your mind the simple fact that you have commissioned this guy to give you a fully working shower, and - almost certainly due to him having made a compromise along the way - you don't have this.

You are stuck with either a shower tray that doesn't drain fast enough, or else one with a 'doctored' trap that will very likely - almost certainly - allow a blockage to occur further down the waste pipe where it'll be difficult to undo. Chemicals and/or a pump will likely shift it, but it's not ideal.

(I have to clean out our shower trap every few months as both my wife and daughter have long hair. Thankfully it's a good trap and when I lift out the little drain grill I can then pull out a rat-sized (and rat-resembling) slug of matted hair and grease. Nice... Shower drain performance instantly restored :))

When you contact the manufacturers, also ask them what these insert parts are for, and the likely outcome if you remove them.

Also phone up Citizen's Advice and ask them where you stand with obliging this guy to sort it properly (in a flooded shower! Lol!... :oops:

planethome likes this.
  15. planethome

planethome New Member

Haha I used to get a mini rat from ours but there hasn't been any so I know it's elsewhere! Thanks for making it all clearer.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  16. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

What make is the trap/tray?

I’ve had poor drainage on some traps before that are free with a tray. Did the plumber supply the trap and tray or did u purchase it yourself?

17. planethome

planethome New Member

It's an Instinct tray. He advised which one and I bought it. It was with the tray.

18. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

It ‘could’ simply be a poor designed trap or the one supplied and fitted not suitable to high volume water flow

Traps are pretty basic designe but not all the same, hence I mentioned high flow / turbo traps

This ‘could’ be an easy job to change if you have access under the tray ?

Did you say previous tray was raised and this new one is low level ?

If so, then access never easy unfortunately. It’s either tray comes out (but a problem with the tiles) so usual access is by cutting out a section of ceiling below

Drastic, fairly, destructive, yes, fixable, for sure, but time and faff and a bit upsetting for the home owner

Plus the repair to ceiling needs to be perfect otherwise ur always gonna see it

Have you dared ask what actual adjustments can be made to the trap ? I’m only diy me but not aware of a shower trap with adjustments for flow (but could be wrong)

What floor finish is in the bathroom and can it be lifted if need be ?

19. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

hmm

if you remove the innards of the trap and it drains fine then its not the pipework ( if it were then you'd still have a problem with the innards removed). It looks like the trap is restrictive. I've also had problems with the "free" traps sent with trays in that they don't cope with high volume showers.

my feeling is that a new trap is needed. It's also a tricky one: technically you bought the trap/tray so it is harder to argue the plumber is responsible. However you did so on his recommendation which would place some blame ( or all of it) on him. The key question to ask is what is the flow rate of the trap versus the max flow of your shower. you may need to contact the shower tray manufacturer and shower manufacturer : this is what the plumber should have done to confirm the trap was suitable. ( And yes I went through all of this fitting a low profile shower tray in a downstairs room - needed to absolutely know it would cope with the flow, which it does)

20. planethome

planethome New Member

Can't face any of the scenarios above but don't want to be left with any regrets of not getting it sorted. He is going to cut out more of the trap- one piece already cut off. I asked if we could fit a better trap and I've asked him not to put the restrictors in the shower - he still wants to do that. Got other work to do so hopefully it will be resolved okay.