New soak away overflowing

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by Penfold80, May 12, 2022.

1. Penfold80

Penfold80 New Member

we had a new extension build over drainage and a man hole was moved to the back of the bungalow. Our guttering at the back of the house runs into the drainage. But at the front of the house he put in a soak away create in the driveway about 2 to 3 meters from the house as he couldn't do 5 meters from the house. The problem is when we had heavy rain, the soak away filled up and overflow down the drive way alot not sure what to do about this

2. spannerw

spannerw Screwfix Select

Get the “builder” back and tell him to sort it out.

3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Did the builder perform a ‘percolation test’ prior to installing the soakaway ?

Just by digging a ruddy big hole, fitting a crate system, doesn’t instantly Guarantee the soakaway will actually work

If you have clay soil, then no, a soakaway won’t work, ground will quickly become saturated, crate will fill up and the water may take several days or longer to dissipate

Time to discuss with the builder as clearly it ain’t working

4. Penfold80

Penfold80 New Member

Thanks. I don't think a percolation test was done. Where would I stand if I call the builder back and he say it will cost me to put it right as in the quote was a soakaway. To put it right I'm worried about what they will have to do because the drains are under the extension or round the back of the house

5. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

Of course a percolation test might prove nothing other than you have non permable soil and a soakaway is not the right solution.

6. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Shouldn’t have installed a soak away then :(

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Who suggested installing a soakaway ?

If it was the professional that you had hired to carry out the work, then surely, it’s down to him as it’s not ‘fit for purpose’ or possibly the wrong size / design for the anticipated volume of water created

8. fadouacommitment

fadouacommitment New Member

I also had such a situation.

9. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

Aye, it never rains but it pours