New square D consumer units

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by markysparky, Apr 23, 2005.

1. markysparky

markysparky New Member

Was in the wholesalers the other day and was briefly introduced to the new budget Square D range apparantly brought in for the domestic market.

Has anybody used them and if so what are they like?

2. Rabbit Rabbit

Rabbit Rabbit New Member

Only 'used' them in as much as remedial work and adding a new circuit to one. As a CU they seem OK, better than Volex but then that dont mean much. Historically though Square-D are a pain in the neck because getting spares can be difficult, I had to order then wait for and MCB for a new ciruit

3. Bewlec

Bewlec Member

just fitted a 14 way split board from square d
    spot on

4. Alex G

Alex G New Member

Square D are nice boards, easy to work with, look nice and lots of wholesalers stock them - I've never had any problems getting breakers for them Ray. I normally use MK for new installs but have used Square D before and like them a lot.

5. markysparky

markysparky New Member

Cheers guys, but I don't know if you are refering to the Quadbreak range (the clip in ones with no busbar)Which I am very familiar with but only use on commercial, or the new cheaper range for the domestic market.

Regards Mark

6. Rabbit Rabbit

Rabbit Rabbit New Member

I stand corrected Alex - I must take another look at their new range.

Who are their major stockists?

Its just that encountered and old Square-D CU and went to get a new MCB for a new circuit and was told (by Rexel Senate) that they made loads of different types for their CU's and I would have to get the serial number of the unit then they would have to order specially for me. Cost a lot as well. Indeed it did have a serial number!

I will take a looksee, thanks Bewlec & Alex your recomendations are good enough for me.

7. Alex G

Alex G New Member

Ray,

I'm honored you respect my opinion/recommendations, thank you :)

Denman’s and CEF always seem to have stock of them but you might not have one of these chains near you, in which case it might not be so easy to get hold of them as unlike MK not everyone stocks Square D. RS do a full range and you can quite often find parts on EBay, I got 2 brand-new 32amp RCBO's for £12!!! That’s like a 90% saving on new lol.

I would say if your happy with what you’re currently using then don't change; it’s always nice to stick with a board you know for new installs. Square D do make a few different types of boards with different MCBS accordingly, the older quick line and the industrial range had mcbs that push into a fixed bus bar (makes changing mcbs very easy) there newer domestic ones have the common floating bus-bar design I think. They are not cheap but then again they are nice quality.

(PS Square D are an American brand and are big over there)

Hope this helps matey.
    -Alex.

8. Alex G

Alex G New Member

I said in my original reply that lots of wholesalers stock them, I shouldn't of said that, I ment to say that the majour wholesaler chains I use stock Square D Items :)

An edit button would be so usefull!!

9. Rabbit Rabbit

Rabbit Rabbit New Member

I always respect sparkys points of view Alex.

I have a CEF near me, in fact all the wholesellers are within a 5 mile radius its a very popular area here for sparkys (and work!).

I have always fitted MK's but there are times ..... like getting the cover on after installation... can be a bit Grrrr.....other than that I do like them and they are very reliable.

10. Twobarrows&asprog

Twobarrows&asprog New Member

I have always fitted MK's but there are times .....
    like getting the cover on after installation... can
    be a bit Grrrr.....other than that I do like them and
    they are very reliable.

I errr, have a friend who thinks he may have tried replacing a cover on a live 21way sentry but cursed it 'cos the cover catches on the RCD test button & knocks out the rings......allegedly

11. Rabbit Rabbit

Rabbit Rabbit New Member

Well I have never had THAT problem 2Barrows! If you dont stack the MCB's nicely as you tighten them it can lead to problems getiing the cover on. But as for tripping the RCD... never.

12. lasp

lasp New Member

Yes I have used both the square D consumer units. The new one is called Domae. It was first class to fit and looked very good on the wall.Would use it again.

13. markysparky

markysparky New Member

At last!

Cheers lasp just the answer I was looking for

14. Alex G

Alex G New Member

Yeah sorry markysparky we got off the subject rather and reading back, none of my replies actually answered your quesion, sorry about that :)

Glad you got an answer in the end!

15. markysparky

markysparky New Member

Nice Jester Alex, cheers! :)

16. Twobarrows&asprog

Twobarrows&asprog New Member

Well I have never had THAT problem 2Barrows! If you
    dont stack the MCB's nicely as you tighten them it
    can lead to problems getiing the cover on. But as for
    tripping the RCD... never.
    The test button on the RCD is at the bottom & it's ever so easy to accidentally knock it, especially on a 21 way.
    Wifey threatened divorce last time I did it 'cos she was in the middle of copying a large document on her PC that shwe has spent hours on; after that I showed her how to copy & paste the doc. in a couple of seconds (she is blonde). Cheers.......

17. lasp

lasp New Member

The Square D budget range is excellent. You can replace any other consumer unit without having to extend the earth cables or neutral cables etc. Its a cracking price too. I bought the kit box it came complete with 10 mcbs main switch RCD incomer and can be made into any 10 way variant.