New steel supports and RSJ

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by eddm87, Jun 22, 2019.

1. eddm87

eddm87 New Member

Hi.
    Looking for a bit of advice,
    I have the foundations in for my extension, looking to build up to dpc before doing the oversize and getting ready for the main brickwork.

I have an rsj to go in on the new foundation supported by two steel beams.

Please see images at end of post, do I need to put these posts in now, get them straight, measure out, etc before building to dpc? As the posts will be hidden in the brickwork, then brick up to them either side?

Also, are they pretty standard? Can I just send the plans off to steelworkers to get them to make them up with baseplates welded on where needed etc?

Lastly there are no vertical measurements on them, should I just ask for 2.4m length as that is ceiling height? I plan on bolting wood to the horizontal beam to add joist hangers.

Really appreciate any help.
    Thanks

Edd

BFA4D3F1-7EA9-4C37-9357-1606880AAB89.png 3A5452D4-1410-4447-A211-6877791DFAEF.png D81FB57E-C9B0-4F10-9F68-C04B1ECE7401.png 3A3C0719-8E07-436E-A329-435C6C52499A.png

2. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

You need to post the cross section where it is fixed to the ground. All bar the last one are overhead views

3. eddm87

eddm87 New Member

Afraid I only have overhead views.
    Working on what we have, have been informed it is enough detail!?
    Edd

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

you should have cross section drawings which show you the height of your extension, the roof detail, where the cavity trays are to be fitted above the roof flashing etc. At the moment the vital piece of information is how deep the vertical beam should be and its height. Normally, you have to alter the sizes a little depending on changes in the level of the foundations but that should be MM

5. eddm87

eddm87 New Member

33DE5BAB-F675-47AC-A4A2-202124E726BB.png BC22AACF-DE06-470A-A1F4-E1254E3DE813.png E27A94E1-B71A-43F0-AD2C-B3E739ECCCEF.png These are the only plans we have. Grr. Passed through building regs and planning mind.
    Without knowing heights it’s a bit difficult to order etc, also not sure if they fit flush with inside wall, fit in cavity or how the dpc works regarding supports.

infuriating the plans are pants but need to work with what I have now really.

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

This is the one you need to look at but is too blurred to read

upload_2019-6-23_16-39-12.png

But to go through planning the plans would have had to include the elevations.

What you seem to have is a set of plans with a lot of cut and paste generic drawings

The Building Control officer will also have requested a set of engineering calcs to show how the steel beams were specified. These would also have included all the dimensions height and length

7. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

I think you need to get clarifiation from your designer: you appear to have quite deep strip foundations and a shallow RC slab which is loaded eccentrically under the column.

I would be looking at all founds the same depth and maybe widening local to the column. As has been said above this looks like a cut and paste without too much logic

8. eddm87

eddm87 New Member

Unfortunately our se was a let down to say the least.
    Got the beams, put them straight into the foundations using specified rods and resin.
    Shimmer under one of them using steel and used self levelling grout.
    Hasn’t moved yet!! Bricking up this week so now bedded in the structure
    Thanks for your help all

Edd