New technology

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Phil Morgan, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Phil Morgan

Phil Morgan New Member

Hi there,

I'm rennovating a 1930's semi detached house which hasn't been touched for decades. I'm doing quite a bit of work and before i do all the electric work and replastering etc i want to check im not missing a trick on anything. So obviously we need to move lights, and add sockets - the real basics. Outside of that - are there any other things we can do in this day and age that would benefit us in the long run? Only thing i can think of is adding sono speakers and stuff like that. I wondered if anyone had any suggestions of good things we should also do whilst doing the work

2. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Networking Cat 6 cable.

Phil Morgan and Hans_25 like this.
  3. Hans_25

Hans_25 Active Member

A couple of things I'm doing whilst totally rewiring the place:
    - adding Cat6 cabling throughout to RJ45 sockets in several rooms, terminating in a patch panel in the under stairs cupboard and installed a 24 port switch there too.
    - just fitted a Ubiquiti AC Pro wireless access point to give good strong wireless signal everywhere
    - will be fitting ULEV cable in the kitchen for up to 4 sets of 24 volt LEDs in/on/under cupboards, one of which is RGBW.
    - Got a satellite switch in the loft - fed from the Quad LNB, freeview, FM and DAB aerials, then just 2 WT100 cables from there to the rooms needing signal witha quadplex faceplate to give all those feeds.

KIAB and Phil Morgan like this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Sky will soon be dish free,got Sky Q,it will be available via broadband soon apparently.

5. Hans_25

Hans_25 Active Member

I don't have Sky, just FreeSat :)

6. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Well-Known Member

Run 1mm 3core to light switches incase you want to add smart switching

spinlondon and Hans_25 like this.
  7. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

And use 25mm back boxes minimum,I've used a couple of 35mm boxes here for 3G-2W switches,gives you more wiggle room.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    Hans_25 and Sparkielev like this.
  8. MGW

MGW Well-Known Member

Some years ago I wired up my house for telephone and fax, two sockets in most locations, one connected to outside line, other connected to rest in house not connected to outside line, the idea was the fax machine connected to two sockets together, and when the ring tone was for a fax it would disconnect all phones and so give a better signal to fax machine.

Today all redundant, cordless phones throughout the house and the wiring for fax machine slowed down broad band.

It is just not possible to future proof, things change and unless your going to fit conduit tubes to pull what ever required in future it is a no starter, you can only plan for what you have now.

Son fitted a server in the loft, with a LAN socket at every radiator so he could fit LAN controlled TRV heads, but you can't any longer get them, they are all wifi today.

I did same with TV, the aerial and satellite dish coax went to living room, then back to loft, through a booster with let through and to each room, with the sky eye we could change channel in any room and watch sky in any room, today whole lot redundant with Sky Q don't need an aerial feed all done with wifi.

I have a hybrid LNB with two sky Q and four standard outlets and I am still using standard HD boxes in some rooms, but only because freeview here has only 10 channels, just two muliplex instead of normal six.

9. rogerk101

rogerk101 Well-Known Member

If you insist on running something, then the best way to future proof it is to run empty conduit.

Had MGW done that and pulled his phone wires through the conduit, he'd then have been able to use the telephone wires to pull through ethernet cables. When ethernet cables became redundant, which they pretty much are these days anyway (when did anyone last connect an end device with an ethernet cable?), then what?

All that said, today it's wifi, tomorrow it's 4G, in a couple of years it'll be 5G, and so on. Wireless is the way everything seems to be going these days ... many smartphones don't even have external connectors anymore. They charge with induction chargers, they connect to the internet with mobile data or with wifi, and it's getting harder to find one that has headphone sockets as most just use bluetooth to connect to headphones and other audio devices.

10. furious_customer

furious_customer Active Member

It's not a techy thing, becuase as a few have mentioned already all tech stuff is wireless now, but at this stage I would be planning on adding plenty of rodding points to your drains with discrete panels to access them. The day will come when you will be pleased you did this.

Maybe slightly techy, but I had wondered about using a motorised valve on the water main - that way if I ever get a call to tell me that there is a flood when I am away from home then I could shut it off remotely.

11. Wayners

Wayners Well-Known Member

Run pipes then cables can be pulled through. Guess it may go optical at some point

12. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Well-Known Member

I’ve not seen any phones with no connectors? They all have usb or lightning which you can drop in an adaptor for your headphones.
    Anyway back to the question. I expect connected equipment will be the future, but that is likely to be wireless.
    I doubt you would guess right, so why bother with the expense. But 3c at switches are a good option.

13. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Active Member

Spending most of my life working in schools I've got used to tearing out cables that were put in for technology that has been ecliped, 2 core pyro for obsolete fire alarm systems, wiring for impulse clock systems, radio and TV distribution systems, phone wiring displaced by VOIP, old coax ethernet cabling changed for Cat 5, now the cat 5 is coming out and being replaced by Cat 6, the feeds to the switches are being replaced by fibre, the impulse clocks are making a comeback but fed with phone cable and video conference teaching kit.
    20 years ago when I started I couldn't have predicted any of this, the Cat 6 will be old technology 10 years from now, it moves at such a pace. Conduits to take future technology with draw wires to pull it through as you probably can't buy it yet!!

14. Hans_25

Hans_25 Active Member

25 years ago my offices had network cable run in coax, now its Cat6. Its still network cabling and what worked back then would still work now albeit slower. Cat 6 cable is going to remain relevant and useful for many years to come.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 11:33 AM
    KIAB likes this.
  15. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

We already have Cat 6a,Cat 7,& even Cat 7a now, think should be pushing more use of fibre nowadays,so many advantages, unlimited distance,immunity to electrical interference,etc.

16. Comlec

Comlec Well-Known Member

Agree with much of the above. Invest in reusable cable routes, conduit, risers access panels in floors etc etc.
    Neutrals at all accessories and roomy back boxes and grid switches.