New thread.

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Deleted member 33931, Mar 31, 2018.

1. And, not so funny...

651.jpg

2. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

3. brrrrr-cheeeesh.

4. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

Cheers.

Now we have chatter thread....

I hate people suggesting books to me. There’s a godzillion books out there that I haven’t read and nobody knows what I enjoy more that me. How can someone have a better idea of what I should read next than me?

You’ve mentioned two non fiction books you’ve read. So maybe novels aren’t your thing.

But...(breaking those rules)

I just finished America City by Chris Beckett and thought of you.

It’s not great literature. Beckett’s turing test and peacock’s coat were better.

In America city. CB wanted to explore the hatred of the “other”.

Set one hundred years in the future, after the tyranny (reference to trump? I need to check publication date). Climate change has destroyed southern and eastern us states. How will other states feel about internal US immigrants? It’s bleak.

Beckett is good at these sorts of topics. He also wrote a counterfactual setting the Israeli/Palestinian conflict in Norfolk.

CB is (I believe) a sociology professor who writes academic books as well as novels, so his novels have insight on the human condition.

Unfortunately this novel isn’t terribly well written. It’s not bad, just not great. It’s like Beckett desperately wanted to say something about human nature and didn’t take time to craft the language.

But, if you do feel the urge to try something randomly selected by someone who doesn’t know you very well. Try America City - it explores topics that I think you’re interested in.

Or don’t. Like I said - I hate book recommendations - I understand if you hate them too.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  5. Scouring t'net for a copy as I type :).

I do enjoy a good novel almost (occasionally more) as much as non-fiction, but it's not having a decent recommendation that puts me of - I hate being disappointed, so rarely pick one at 'random'. I keep my ear open for Radio 4's 'a good read', but have been as disappointed as much as pleasured by the results.

I have even resorted to populism, well recent popular big names, so tried a David Mitchell (both Davids, as it happens). Both were pure dead brilliant.

So, genuine thanks for the rec.

Want a chuckle-to-yourself bit of non-fict? Thoroughly recommend Bryson's 'At Home'.

6. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

If you haven’t got a kindle then I’d leave it;
    It’s no cloud atlas (was that the David Mitchell?). I haven’t read anything by the comedian.

If you haven’t read cloud atlas then I think you might enjoy it. He really knows how to put a sentence together and explores kindness in a cruel world. Thankfully our world is less cruel than the ones portrayed in the novel.

I’ll add “at home” to my queue.

7. facilities

facilities Guest

So then what a great initiative let’s start a “new thread” Ummm, what shall we call it I know lets call it a “new thread”

What do we need ? That’s it, a credible subject matter, na it never stopped us in the past, I know let it be a monologue with perhaps the odd interjection from one other contributor, now we’re getting somewhere, so now who considers themselves to be the two greatest wordsmiths on the forum? we’ll leave that hanging for now and see who turns up

Advantages, bit difficult this as the only thing that springs to mind is the peeps with insomnia issues could perhaps take this “new thread” on prescription and just dip into it as and when required.:)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2018
  8. Yeah, I baulked at the whopping £13 price tags... I'll wait until they are 2nd'and.

The DM was Ghostwritten - I googled for the 'best DM novels' and that was the consensus. Cloud Atlas def to get - there's bound to be lots of cheap copies out there :oops:.

9. Welcome, Facs. I hadn't realised that talking 'books' was considered so elitist or so arousing of envy or even potentially unpalatable, but no doubt some folk find it to be all three.

Lots of options on this thread (not that I have any control over it anyways); go over my selection of pithy little posters and point out any actual untruths therein. Or talk about books. Or talk about anything else. You've started with anything else.

10. £2.26 delivered. Get in... :oops:

11. facilities

facilities Guest

Ok just to be clear then is this thread a sort of book club, a Brexit, a UK or EU thingy, anything on the planet or beyond, no objection to any of that but the thread title is bit nondescript. having said that if others are enjoying it perhaps I'm being pedantic:(

12. Sometimes I really quite like you Facs.

So this is espesh for you:

Sixteen Logical Reasons Why Some Men Have Dogs And Not Wives:

1. The later you are, the more
    excited your dog is to see you.

2. Dogs don't notice if you call them
    by another dog's name.

3. Dogs like it if you leave lots
    of things on the floor.

4. Dogs' parents never visit.

5. Dogs agree that you have to raise your voice to get your point across.

6. You never have to wait for a dog; they're ready to go, instantly, 24 hours a day.

7. Dogs find you amusing when you're ******.

8. Dogs like to go hunting and fishing.

9. Dogs won't wake you up at night to ask: "If I died, would you get another dog?"

10. If a dog has babies, you can put an ad in the paper and sell 'em.

11. When you drop a silent one, dogs don't run around frantically with room spray.

13. Dogs never tell you to stop scratching your balls. Instead, they sit pondering why you don't lick 'em.

14. Dogs will let you put a studded collar on, without calling you a pervert.

15. If a dog smells another dog on you, it won't kick you in the crotch; it just finds it interesting.

And last, but not least,

16. If a dog runs off and leaves you, it won't take half your stuff.

To verify these statements: Lock your wife and your dog in the garage for an hour.

b4xtr, kitfit1, gadget man and 2 others like this.
  13. facilities

facilities Guest

I’m in agreement with the above,

I take it back I like this thread :)

14. 'Sometimes'? My bad. I meant occasionally.

like now

15. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

Chippie might have abandoned his experiment of having a thread where people could put forth views without it turning into meaningless chatter, but I quite liked it.

But we still need somewhere for natter. Using Chippie’s thread felt like talking in a library.