New thread.

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Deleted member 33931, Mar 31, 2018.

1. Ok, if Facs stuck with his first choice, I'm swapping mine for bag 3.

no idea why...

2. facilities

facilities Guest

It's getting exciting now, you can cut the atmosphere with a blunt knife:)

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  3. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Although I personally love hummus, it would be Bag one. You're down to a 50% chance of ending up with hummus by this point, but I'm reading the way the conundrum is written as being part of the answer "Inside ONE is a lovely bacon, sausage and egg sandwich"......? Or maybe I just need to get a life.

In addition, why is your mate buying three bags of sandwiches when there's only two of you? There's an obesity epidemic sweeping the country, for goodness' sake!!!!!

4. facilities

facilities Guest

Jord I like your post, it sounds very reasonable, can I just ask why you like hummus? do you not find it tastes gritty, why not a nice smooth dip?

5. facilities

facilities Guest

It's like all this pat'e stuff, I was always happy with Sutherland Beef Spread why do we need that european Pat'e stuff we are British not European and proud of it, as we have recently told em:)

6. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

DA’s right on this one.

This is the Monty Hall problem. It’s usually expressed as a game show, behind doors there a car and two goats (it assumes you don’t want a goat).

When you picked you had a one third chance of being right. When your mate showed you bag number two (he knows what’s in the bags) it didn’t change the probability that you’d originally picked correctly - it just moved two thirds of the probability to bag 3.

To illustrate this let’s exacerbate the food wastage problem.

Your mate comes back with one hundred bags. Only one contains the cholesterolly goodness.

You’re screwed now. You have a 1% chance of choosing correctly (it’s on toast too so the fried egg doesn’t make the bread soggy).

You pick bag 1. Your mate opens 98 bags showing hummus (he’ll send them to Africa - it’s fine). You have to be really suspicious about the one he choose not to open - there’s a 99% chance that’s the right bag.

Can someone else post a maths problem now? I like the idea of avoiding Brexit and “rivers of blood” talk, but I feel I’m coming across as a know-it-all (because it’s easy to know the answer when you set the question).

Deleted member 33931 and Jord86 like this.
  7. facilities

facilities Guest

yeah your right there B2 you always have done but don't let it put you off:)

8. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Garlic, chickpeas, olive oil, normally mix fresh chilli in as well.... what's not to like Facs? You're a curry fan I thought? Let's make it mango chutney instead, that better? :)

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  9. facilities

facilities Guest

Your'e right Jord I am a curry fan, Saturday night at ours is curry night, the dragons preparing one as we speak, I can eat hummus but it's just not my favorite, while we are on about it the only food I really dislike is Avocado and aubergines, thats why I won't touch ratatouille,

10. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Ok, don't laugh, here goes, it's another old one.

You and two of your mates go into the Screwfix charity shop selling off old copies of 'Britain First', 'One Foot In the Grave' videos and models of big red buses. You spot a pristine, only one previous owner of a mechanically operated catflap, priced at £30, however you only have a tenner on you.

"No worries," say your two mates, "we'll each share it, so we'll all give £10 each and at the end of the Brexit Debate, you keep it, it's yours." Great idea, you think.

Screwfix Pete comes shuffling over, "May I help you?" "Yes please, we'd like the catflap for £30 if we may," handing over three tenners.

"Ah he says, my mistake, it's actually been reduced in price due to the previous owner committing Seppuku due to his intolerance to broken records and recurring dreams of catflaps, it's actual price is £25." "Here's your change, five £1 coins."

Appreciating his honesty, you give him two £1 coins back as a tip, keeping £1 each, plus he looks sleep deprived with bloodshot eyes and a faint aroma of black coffee and tobacco lingers when he speaks, so you head out of the shop quick as you can to the local pub for a large rusty nail......

"Result, we only paid £9 each, and we've got a piece of Screwfix history!", says your mate. "Hang on", you think, "we paid £9 each and gave Screwfix Pete a £2 tip......?"

"Yes, and?"

"Well 9 x 3 is 27, +2 is 29, so where's the other £1 gone.........?"

btiw2 and Deleted member 33931 like this.
  11. facilities

facilities Guest

well done Jord this is a variation on an old conundrum, I could give you an explanation but my curry is ready and I have had a few rusty nails, see what others come up with, and If in any condition will explain all later, hic hic

Jord86 likes this.
  12. Hah! I thought so!

Can you explain why?

13. That is brilliant. And you are a complete bar steward.

Jord86 likes this.
  14. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

I thought I had explained it (as well as I’m able).

15. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

The answer is much too boring for the question.

“Who cares where the other £1’s gone?” answered Jack “it’d be more convenient to use Euros anyway”.
    “Some immigrant ...probably ... stole it” retorted RS.
    “Some one dynamited the quid?” suggested Kool.
    DA blamed the u-s.
    Chippie also interjected, but we didn’t get to read it before he was banned.

“Why are we talking about £30?” asked Jord (on a mathematical roll), “the price was £25, and £27 MINUS £2 is £25”.

Jord86 likes this.
  16. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

What comes next in this sequence?

O,T,T,F,F,S,S,E,...

17. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Good one that, N, T.

btiw2 likes this.
  18. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Mind you I knew that one, so wasn't really any great intellectual feats on my part......

19. Nein.

(I had to look it up.)

20. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

You’re frighteningly good at this.

It’s difficult for me to choose a favourite mathematician, but John Conway would make my “top ten”.

He didn’t get the next sequence, but once it was explained to him he performed detailed analysis of the sequence. Don’t feel bad if you don’t get it, but don’t google it either.

I’ll present the raw sequence and then add some punctuation to help.

That’s the sequence where the genius mathematician Conway couldn’t determine the next term (intimidated yet?).

No advanced maths is needed. A child could write the next term.

With punctuation and spacing to help see the pattern. Each term on a new line, commas and semicolons added for readability.
    1,2;1,1
    1,1;1,2;2,1
    3.1;2,2;1,1
    1,3;1,1;2,2;2,1

What’s next?