New towel radiator not getting hot

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Steven.H, Mar 3, 2020.

1. Steven.H

Steven.H New Member

Hi there....Just replaced an old towel radiator with a new one as redecorating but for some reason it refuses to get hot. The rusty old one was working ok.

The flow pipe gets nice and hot and the return pipe is stone cold....as is the radiator. Ive bleed each radiator so no air trapped. Ive also tried turning every other radiator off with just the new one open....but still the hot water wont flow into it.

Im only a typical DIY'er and have changed and installed radiators in the house many times but never had a problem. I did wonder if the valves were not bidirectional as it wasn't stated however from what I understand most valves on the market are bidirectional.

Can anyone out there think of what could be causing this?

Thanks!

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

I assume it's full of water and has been bled, so one of the valves must be closed ,as it's unlikely you suddenly have a blockage ( but that's possible too)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  3. Steven.H

Steven.H New Member

Hi terrymac. Thanks for the quick reply. Yes its full of water and ive bled all the radiators so definitely no trapped air. The valves are open. Ive tried fully turned, semi turned etc but no joy.

4. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Close both valves. Open air bleed ,catch the bit of water that comes out. When it stops ,open one valve see if water comes out the air bleed valve. Then close the valve and try the other one. If one valve doesn't let water flow it's duff or the pipe to it is blocked.

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Do you have a link for the radiator?

Some are suitable for only horizontal or portrait installation and it vice versa just an idea?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020