New Trend pro drainer groove jig

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by krissy, May 18, 2018.

1. krissy

krissy New Member

2. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Ridiculous price, nothing special.

kitfit1 likes this.
  3. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

Price is high but some of the features are quite interesting

"Router carriage can also be used for tapered surfacing applications with a 19mm diameter straight cutter.

Five inner templates accessories available to give various groove affects such as straight slot, straight fan, curved fan, lightning fan and hot rod"

Accurately doing a tapered grove where it reduces in depth towards the end is quite fiddly to do accurately. The other effects are quite different not sure where you would use a "lightning fan" effect

Obviously you could make a jig to do this but it is time consuming and sometimes takes a lot of trial and error to get right.

4. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

A lot of money sat around, if it's seldom used.

5. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

Yep, but on the flip side - lot of money wasted if you cut a draining flute wrong as it is something you can hide.

6. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

True.

7. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

There is an American Build program where they give jobs a "pucker factor" - how much you clench up because of the risks/stress. Wednesday I had to scribe cut a huge piece of slate (600mm x 1500mm x 50mmmy) for a hearth. Trying not to over cut the internal corners or even chip an edge whilst moving it - huge pucker factor ;)

Leveling it wasn't much fun either :(

8. kitfit1

kitfit1 Well-Known Member

I bought a sheet of 16mm Tufnol in the 1990's to make the drainer groove jig i still have. I know Tufnol is very expensive now, but at that time it cost me about £40. I got a friend to put a 5mm slope on it using a CNC milling machine and routed the template grooves in myself. The 2 outer grooves having a 15 degree dogleg.
    Been using it ever since. I'm shure that the OP could do the same thing now using solid laminate or Acrylic for a lot less than Trend want for that. Any engineering shop with a milling machine can put a slope on it for you for not much money, probably do it while you wait. A quick sand down when you get home and your sorted.

9. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Member

a lot of money for something you hardly used make your self a jig out of mdf but rember to lift one end of jig when using so you get tapered slots

10. kitfit1

MDF will bend, and over a short period will absorb moisture. It's just much easier to make your own and have a slope machined on it......................job done. I've had mine since 1994 i think, it's that solid that if i had a son to pass it on to he could use until he retired :D

11. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Well-Known Member

Daddy? Is it really you?

Edit: I'll have to let you know where to send it......

kitfit1 and KIAB like this.
  12. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Member

its only got be use for one worktop then throw it away after job done

13. kitfit1

Ask ya mothers solicitor.....................she has all the details :D

WillyEckerslike likes this.