New Upstairs Bathroom

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by MH58, May 20, 2019.

1. MH58

MH58 New Member

I’m looking for some advice, first of all I would like to mention that I live in a chalet, bungalow with loft spaces either side and a small loft area in the Apex, water tanks small and large in roof loft just have enough head room to remove covers. We do not have a combi boiler.
    I’m going to start a bathroom dormer in the next few weeks. The new upstairs bathroom will consist of toilet, basin and shower cubical with a Mira sports Power shower. The instructions on the power shower states that it should be run directly from the cold feed tank with no branches. I am then thinking of T branching of the rising main to fed the toilet and basin.T branching of the hot water pipe for the basin from the hot water tank, pipework also run through the loft. What I am worried about is
    1/ Because I am branching of the rising main will it reduce the water flow into the header tank which in turn could cause air locks specially in the shower.
    2/ Water pressure, The header tank sits next to the loft hatch, head room is non existent so it cannot be raised as suggested by a plumber over the phone.
    Would I have to put a pump/s cold only. like a Salamander on both the shower feed and the toilet and basin feed or just on the shower or not at all
    3/ The cold water feeds to toilet, basin and shower will be going to through the stud work, I know that the instruction if I need pumps will tell me the best positioning, but I’m just looking for additional info.
    Planning ahead.
    To be honest I have given up trying to get a plumber to come and look at this job. It is unbelievable, when they have asked what the job entails I get these ridiculous prices ranging from an £800+ call out charge to £3,950 labour only materials, would be extra.

2. ecoplumbing

ecoplumbing Active Member

Hi. First of all you need to work out what kind of pump you require. I'm guessing there won't be much height distance between the header tank and the shower head so you may need a negative or universal pump. Salamander have a good website which explains how to choose the right pump. But I wouldn't worry about not being able to lift the tank up as they'll be a pump to suit your setup.
    The pump Mi's ( manufacturer's instructions) will tell you what size of water tank is best but there's other factors to consider, demand of hot water, how many appliances will realistically be used at once, are there other showers in the property etc. Pumps have different flow rates so if it's not possible to increase the size of the tank then go for a smaller 1- 1.5 bar pump.
    Then you need to consider the existing cold water pressure, will it fill the tank up quickly, go up there whilst running a hot tap and see how fast it refills. Sometimes the ball valve may need replacing to improve flow or the water level in the tank may need adjusting.