New Van Newbie

Discussion in 'Car and Van Talk' started by Lijong Tao, Jun 11, 2019 at 1:33 AM.

1. Lijong Tao

Lijong Tao Member

Hi all

As we're a family with children (and their bikes) a wife who is always at the garden centre with bags of compost etc I am looking to swap my 2014 VW Passat for a van, but I haven't a clue where to start.

Are there vans to definitely stay away from because of faults, rust issues etc? I have never bought a van so don't know what to look out for. My car is worth around £7k part x perhaps £8k privately. I can put £3-4k to it if need be. Would I get a half decent one for that price?

Oh, and I need 5 seats because of the kids.

Many thanks in advance
    Li

2. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Well-Known Member

Here's one thing you might not have realised before you rush out and buy one. Unless it's a 'car derived van', the speed limits are lower than for cars on certain A roads and dual carriageways. Nobody seems to take much notice though - especially Mercedes Sprinter drivers or the police (except one day a year when they publicise what they're doing just to make a point).
    I would have a better look at some of the people carriers if it's just for family use....

3. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Well-Known Member

You could probably find a nice pick up with cab seats for the money you have

4. furious_customer

furious_customer Active Member

What about a trailer for the Passat?
    Your extra 3k could buy you a decent fully enclosed box trailer.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  5. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Active Member

And I think you'd better check the insurance situation...
    I considered buying one some years ago when I had a building project at home where I was going to be doing a lot of the work myself... I thought a van would be useful for the period.
    A pal suggested I check the insurance situation, and sure enough because a van was considered a "commercial" vehicle the cost was significantly higher. I can't remember the exact numbers, (it was back in 2005), but it was enough for me to abandon that plan. And I only intended having it for the fews months of the project.

Good luck, anyway,

Regards,
    Cando

6. goldenboy

goldenboy Well-Known Member

Commercial insurance is a funny old thing. Hugely expensive when taken out first. Incredibly cheap when a few years in.

Just renewed my Relay. Fully comp, protected ncb, 10k miles less than £200.

7. Lijong Tao

Lijong Tao Member

Thanks everyone. Not confident reversing a trailer s may look for a combi van of kinds. Thanks for the replies, food for thought.