New water main pipe using mole

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Scampi_Scamp, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Scampi_Scamp

Scampi_Scamp New Member

I want to install an unvented hot water cylinder and system boiler. I have been recommended that I should upgrade my mains water pipe using a mole, to make the most of the system.

Affinity Water have said they don’t do this and I need to contact a private plumbing to use a mole to install the new pipe. Is this correct? So what do I need to ask Affinity to do?

Presumably we will need to install a new 32mm pipe? Can someone also advise on all other pipework I need to request to ensure the rest of the system is sufficient with the correct pipework?

I was hoping I could leave the mains as it is, and install the new system and see how it works. If the mains need upgrading surely I can do that afterwards?

This is all new to me, so an overview of the process would be really helpful!

2. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Who recommended you upgrade your mains water and why? First need to check both pressure and flow with your existing setup, and see if its adequate.

3. Scampi_Scamp

Scampi_Scamp New Member

I’ve had about 5 different plumbers quote for the new system. Most have recommended getting a new mains pipe as they said the current setup is not meeting the minimum requirements. Another did say you can try and see if we are happy after installation...

4. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

You need to run the pipe out to your boundary close to the stop tap. Leave the hole open and then Affinity will connect it to their mains.

5. Scampi_Scamp

Scampi_Scamp New Member

Thank you - would a new stop tap be required as part of the work? And who does that, Affinity? Sorry if these are daft questions!

6. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

Mole pipe installation is very good,just check if your water company wants any additional underground pipe insulation or duct install.

water companies vary and often they want the installer to certify their own work.

Great idea to install a new water main,thou

7. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Affinity will change the tap - if required and make the final connection. I am currently considering it - and Affinity are my local water co.

8. PaulTheOnlyOne

PaulTheOnlyOne New Member

I had this done a few years ago. The mole is a brilliant tool. The guys who did it do nothing else. They were based north on London somewhere. They were gone within an hour of arriving. Never saw two guys work so quickly. The bill was about £500 compared to various quotes up to 3k from normal builders.

retiredsparks likes this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Moling makes installation of new water mains,etc so much easier,& fast, highly recommend this method.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  10. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I had a man and a mole burrow through for a new gas pipe, they dug down in a couple of places, then lined the mole up and brrr-brrrr-brrrr it went burrowing through effortlessly.

11. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Mr K ....watched this before you put it up...
    never understood how you can aim a mole and send it to a spot accurately ...allowing for rubble rocks etc.
    Rs

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Use laser guiding :eek:, can tweak power to adjust the mole direction.

http://hmswater.co.uk/trenchless-moling-how-we-do-it/

13. retiredsparks

What's on the mole to give feedback as to lateral movement and vertical movement.
    What can be adjusted on it in situ to change the direction.
    RS

14. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Pure guess work but I assume that they are able to make the mole either bend or have an eccentric nose which they can rotate to make it change direction as it travels. I'm probably completely off track (unlike the mole) and would be interested to find out.

15. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Basic impact moles just go straight so they have to aimed just so and they don't like soil with large stones.

If they don't come out in the right place they are reversed and a second attempt made. They are very crude but very effective.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  16. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

As stevie says, they just go straight. The mole used at my place was long and thin so once its dug a bit of a hole for itself, they simply follow that line. Just need tweaking initially to make sure they're on track (operatives get used to lining them up in 3 dimensions with experience) then let 'em go.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  17. retiredsparks

18. Scampi_Scamp

Scampi_Scamp New Member

Thank you - do you know the name of the company by any chance?

19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Send him a PM, more likely to reply then.

20. Jol

Jol New Member