New windows

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Ann Demaret, Jul 10, 2021.

1. Ann Demaret

Ann Demaret Member

hello,
    I am having new windows put in. They have now stopped worked. I paid for scaffolding in the price but they came with nothing and have been sawing in the bedroom which looks terrible, This is what they have done so far and I am not happy. I am not a handy person but it doesn't look right. Could some one please advise me?
    Thank you so much
    P.s how do I add pictures, they say the files are too big?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
  2. Adamfya

Adamfya Screwfix Select

Download Lit photo app to compress files

3. Ann Demaret

Ann Demaret Member

Thank you so much, I will tr 20210710_153718~2.jpg y now.

Attached Files:

4. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

What are you not happy with? Nothing obvious on those photos

5. Ann Demaret

Ann Demaret Member

Hello Jonathon
    Thank you for replying. I dont know anything about windows but they said they wud put the windows in from outside using scaffolding but they did them from inside and the windows are not fitting into the plaster well so there seems to be a huge surround of black frame which I thought shpuld be hidden? Also the frame looks bigger then the glass in the window. Or does it look ok to you?

6. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

The frame looks to be right size for the glass to me. The gap between frame and existing plaster is pretty reasonable to be honest. There will not be a perfect finish between the frames and old plaster as they’ll always be a bit of tidying up

does seem odd they charged for scaffolding and didn’t use it. I would take it up with them

7. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Seems to be the norm to fit from inside nowadays. Had our own place and a rental property done in last 12 months. Both done from inside with only silicone application done from outside. No need for scaffold therefore.

To my eye the window looks a touch on the narrow side for the opening but they've done a good job of foaming. Will look much better when trimmed: are they down to do this?

BiancoTheGiraffe likes this.
  8. Ann Demaret

Ann Demaret Member

Thank you so much Jonathan thats reassuring. I will ask about the scaffolding. Thank you again.

9. Ann Demaret

Ann Demaret Member

No they have finished that window completely. What is trimming? Should I ask about it? Thank you for responding, very kind of you.

10. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

I agree with the poster above, everyone fits from the inside these days.

The trimming is a flat piece of uPVC about two inches wide which is put around the window to hide the damage to the plaster

11. Ann Demaret

Ann Demaret Member

Oh thank you very much for explaining , I will ask about it.

12. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Regarding finishing around the frames with trims - there’s two schools of thought towards this

1. Trims quick and easy and cheap to use and leaves a ‘perfect’ finish with little effort required. Few blobs of silicone and/or super glue to fit trims, hides a multitude of sins (but they need to me cut and fitted with pride and care)

However, no matter how neat trims are fitted, they’re always obvious and tend to highlight the windows - especially being black

2. No trims but window reveals are repaired and plastered / skimmed right up to window frames. Nice, seamless finish, ready to paint

How much work depends on how much damage happens when old windows are removed and new fitted but, it can all be put right, again, it’s all doable, materials are cheap but if employing a builder / plasterer, then additional labour costs

Just depends what’s on quote from window company, what’s been discussed with the customer and what exactly are you paying for ?

Some window jobs include zero making good, other than a spray of expanding foam and then it’s job done

Just depends on the details which should always be clear between both parties before any money changes hands and work starts

I trust that this is the case here ?

13. Ann Demaret

Ann Demaret Member

Hi Dave,
    Thank you for the detailed response. The only details were that I wanted the exact window frames as I had originally but this time in black frames. The frames were not the same as the original, not even near and as a result the actual glass area is greatly reduced and so its not really what I wanted or asked fir. When I saw this I told the men to stop work. I rung the window company and said they were not the same. He said the men must finish the work and continue to fit another 4 windows. I refused as it seemed mad to me. He said if I didn't the contract was broken and I would have to pay for all the windows. ( I have already paid half) I told the men to go and the manager is coming to see me. . Its all a bit of a mess really. I dont really know what to next. Thank you for the info about the trims. I will find someone to plaster as I don't want any more black around the frame there is already too much there. Thank you so much for your help. Very much appreciated. Thank you.

14. dray

dray Screwfix Select

Shame the installers are caught up in this as like others have said they seemed to have done a good job fitting .

Make a list of the things not as agreed and ask the manager to put it right and in line with the contract and specification for the windows you picked.

I assume that you did select a window style rather than leave it to them to get what they thought was the nearest one? Did you specify/discuss the frame colour you wanted inside and the reveal finish as the one shown looks like it had trim fitted previously so have they done the same but different colour?

On the other hand if you were not specific and left it to them then you may have to make some compromises now as it would be down to interpretation of what you actually wanted which is not ideal.
    I would think that the scaffold is easily put right, simply ask them to deduct the cost of it if not required or used.
    I hope you get it sorted and let us know how you get on.

chillimonster likes this.
  15. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

as the company is now arguing about contracts etc, what does the contract say precisely? is it vague as to the style of windows or is it specific or just a verbal contract?

personally i think it is rather hard of any company to jump straight to "breach of contract" they would do well to try to explain things to you and to listen to you rather than go all legal... Does the contract specify anything about scaffolding btw?. if you can post any info up without your personal details or the companies details it may help

16. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Can we have pictures from outside? I suspect that the frames are quite a bit narrower than original because they have been fitted inside the plaster and not inside the outer brick leaf. I wonder how they have filled the gap. If they have made the windows much smaller than the brick opening for easy fixing and then just foamed and trimmed the gap, arguably you have a case. Don't pay any more until we have seen exterior pictures, but it does look a reasonably neat job from inside.

17. Ann Demaret

Ann Demaret Member

Hi Dray,
    Thank you so much, the installers were lovely and very hard working. I have told the company this, they were really good and I have no complaint with them what so ever. The problem is what they have provided is nothing near what we asked for. However, in the contract there is no mention of actual style or mentioning of scaffolding yet this was included in the estimate when the rep came as he told us the price. So I dont know how now I can prove that this was actually said. I suppose I wasn't sharp enough and not experienced enough to know what questions to ask and to make sure everything was written down correctly. They included a very simple image of the window with absolutely no detail butI thought as he had written everything down it would have been what I asked for. The manager is coming out next week so I just don't know what to do. I didn't see any pictures I just said I wanted the same as I already had and he said yes that's fine. But tgey are not the same or anywhere near the same.

18. Ann Demaret

Ann Demaret Member

Hi Jonathan, The contract is not very clear. No mention of scaffolding but I know its included because at the time I didn't accept his quote of 800 pounds for one day, but he said if I didn't have it and got my own and the men slipped I would be in danger of forking out thousands in compensation. This is not on the contract though as there is no itemised bill. There is not either any detail about the type of window style, design etc. I presumed he had taken on board what I had said and that he would produce the same type of window. I spoke to the regarding he then made a plan of the windows which I thought would be on what I had said. I will post the contract but its pages long and full of nothing really. They are mainly concerned about not posting bad comments on social media about them. I dont think this will end very well for me.

19. Ann Demaret

Ann Demaret Member

Hi Mr Rusty, I will post some pictures later this morning. You will see the window below is what the original was in white and what I wanted but the bedroom one isn't the same. Thank you for taking the time to comment.

20. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

A Double Glazing Salesman is only required to listen and not hear! :(

Your frame in the first picture looks to be missing a trim that clips in those grooves.