New wiring for cooker, hob and hood

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by mkkbb, Aug 6, 2006.

1. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Conduit I dont know..the way I have stated it to the chap is the way I did it..to me it is logic..any other way..just dunno..and to boot..not interested.

2. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Sorry Noconduit maybe a tad rude of me. I see where you are going not to sure from the reg point of view though, whether that will hold good or not.

3. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Anyway if someone could explain the logic of switching an oven/hob ignition and extractor off of one switch then maybe I might be a bit more understanding..which would thus allow me to put some kind of positive comment in on this 'practice'.

4. mkkbb

mkkbb New Member

What I REALLY want to know is do all the switches have to be in view. I can understand that the oven switch would need to be, but can I have the hood switch (or FCU or whatever it is) above the fan/wall-units, and the hob switch in a cupboard, or do they all have to be in reach?

I can't find it in any regulation documents.

5. fooman

fooman New Member

What I REALLY want to know is do all the switches
    have to be in view. I can understand that the oven
    switch would need to be, but can I have the hood
    switch (or FCU or whatever it is) above the
    fan/wall-units, and the hob switch in a cupboard, or
    do they all have to be in reach?

I can't find it in any regulation documents.

well i usually put the FCU above the kitchen cupboards next to where the flue for the extractor goes. As for ignition for hobs i usually fit a 13amp single socket behind the oven from the ringmain for it to be plugged in or a double socket from the ringmain if its a single oven and plug that in as well. Only an isolator for double ovens or hobs do i put within 2mtrs as per regs.

6. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

Given how many people have separate oven/hob combos these days, and a hood, why don't the accessory manufacturers introduce a CCU, same size as the existing socketed ones, but with 2 switched fused outlets instead of the socket?

7. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

8. Witney

Witney New Member

I trust you are going to conform to Part P Building Regs and inform your local planning office that you are altering kitchen wiring ;)
    It's there for a reason, and looking at your original question, and some of the answers, there is a basic lack of understanding, especially when it comes to cable sizes and protection.
    Be safe not sorry