Newbie Installing Kitchen Into Skewed U-Shape, Help!

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Rpeveritt, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Rpeveritt

Rpeveritt Guest

Hi All,

First question on the forum so please be nice! :D

Just to make thing's clear from the outset I am not a Kitchen Fitter and merely just a young lad who has bought his first home and is trying to do as much of the work as possible.

I intent to fit a new kitchen. The room is currently being plastered as we speak. One thing I have noticed though is that the wall on the right (Wall C) is leaning outwards. Please see illustration below:

[​IMG]

Can anyone offer me any advice on how I would combat this? Do I have to knock out a bit of the wall towards point (Ca) or is it just a case of getting the Worktop Fitter to cut it at an angle.

Any advice would be great!

Best,
    Ryan

Below are some pictures of the kitchen design and also what the room currently looks like.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Wow - nice project!

Keep us updated, please -we love seeing things like this develop :)

Yes - your worktop fitter will simply cut the worktop joint at the correct angle - easy peasy.

The corner posts on your units will easily accommodate the slight wee angle change, so that's not an issue.

KIAB and Rpeveritt like this.
  3. Rpeveritt

Rpeveritt Guest

Thanks very much, Its been hard going. The kitchen was originally just a small rectangle, so I decided to knock down the dining room wall to open it up (hired some scaffolding boards, acrows and installed the RSG with some friends), then I bricked up the old door making it what it looks like now. I've been quite lucky because I did all the electrics, plaster boarding, bonding and plumbing myself so have saved a little bit!

I particularly have a love for the Saxby Plaster In Fittings from Screwfix

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Deleted member 33931 and KIAB like this.
  4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Personally I'd batten your gimpy wall out with diminishing timbers and plasterboard I.e 50x50 at the end of the wall, 25x50 in the middle of the wall then glue the last part of the plasterboard with expanding foam, this should get you within 5mm done correctly, or get your kitchen fitter to mitre the worktop and run the units skewed which is a potch for whoever is doing it and will be forever visible in the angle of your worktop. But it's certainly possible to do.

One other thing, are you aware there's no service void at the back of Ikea units? If you have exposed pipes and cables along the wall this needs to be planned for.

5. Rpeveritt

Rpeveritt Guest

Hey, thanks for the suggestion. In terms of the service void I had no idea about that to be honest so thanks. As you can see I've only plastered down past the worktop height so Ill be able to get all this in without any issues.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Same way.:)

7. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

And just to be pedantic but ultimately I'm trying to help you, this is like Deja Vu, your RSJ really should be sitting on concrete padstones, NOT the existing brickwork like in your photo. Have you been in touch with your local building control office?

KIAB likes this.
  8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Beat me to it.

Either padstones or 3 or 4 courses of solid engineering bricks if approved by BCO.
    I would also have carried that RSJ over that doorway to other wall, wouldn't be happy having sat just sat on that other wall.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    Jord86 likes this.
  9. Rpeveritt

Rpeveritt Guest

There are concrete padstones on both sides, the one on the right hand side is just past the brick you see it sitting on it its visible in the hallway. Yes local building control was consulted. :)

10. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Well done for giving it a go, have to say I hate Ikea units though :eek:

KIAB likes this.
  11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Well done, excellent work.:)

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Another one who hates ikea units.:mad:

13. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Looked like a broken brick to me with expanding foam holding everything together, hey it's your house and I mean that in a nice way, just don't give the building inspector cause to make you redo some of your hard work.

14. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

And me. Clearly we have too much time on our hands!

Tommy B likes this.
  15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Was going to have a lazy day, but one job has been niggling me,keep putting it off,it has to be done, so been slapping on synthaprufe, horrible job.

16. Rpeveritt

Rpeveritt Guest

I haven't committed to the IKEA kitchen yet! I originally had Howdens round to quote but they came in at £3500 excluding appliances, where as for the same IKEA kitchen with appliances it was £4100. This included, Fridge/ Freezer, Hob, Oven, Extractor, Dish Washer, Washing Machine.

17. Rpeveritt

Rpeveritt Guest

Haha, I did use expanding foam to hold in a small brick near the backdoor before bonding it and plastering it but thats another story.. :p

18. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Howdens will usually come in cheaper than most, as their desperation for a sale means they'll drop their prices to compare. Try Wren and Sigma for a quote, pretty good in my experience.

Rpeveritt likes this.
  19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Rpeveritt likes this.
  20. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Horrible job means only one thing when finished.............pub.

kitfit1 likes this.