Newly bought & fitted flat panel rad blistered at top

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by TangerineDream, May 7, 2021.

1. TangerineDream

TangerineDream Active Member

Hi guys some months ago I had 3 new flat panel radiators installed. All were newly bought. Last week I noticed a bubble at the top of one of the rads and today it popped. The two panels to the right of it didnt blister but the enamel has popped off both corners. Never experienced this before.

I have an unvented system that was serviced just a month ago including the magna cleaned out and the boiler system is just 3.5 years old. I have the original plumber coming out but he isn't sure why this has happened. Any ideas what may have caused this? Most of the rads are fairly old but seem to be fine and I want to replace the lot eventually but cant afford it at the moment. I have heard a tinkle of air in the system so was about to bleed the rads when I noticed the rad had blistered/popped. The water coming from it is clear. Could the air in the system cause rads to blister like that due to the pressure?

Any suggestions appreciated

2. Sounds like a dodgy paint job

TangerineDream likes this.
  3. TangerineDream

Thanks for your reply. I hope that's all it is. At least the rad is under warranty still. I'm just concerned if its indicative of a much larger issue and want to head it off if I can.

4. I assume it is just paint blistering and the metal below is fine?

5. TangerineDream

The metal underneath looks normal (new), I cant see any obvious corrosion but think there must be a hole or that blister wouldnt have been filled with water surely? Ive hopefully isolated the rad until the plumber can come later today but worried about putting the heating on in case there is a bigger problem.

6. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

Is it on a welded seam?

Deleted member 246321 likes this.
  7. TangerineDream

no, just pumps, its not. The blister is indicated on this picture and spans the entire width of the top front of the panel, then the two other panels have popped enamel off both edges without there being blistering. It's odd.

Attached Files:

8. If it’s full of water, if u haven’t already then shut rad valves off and like u say speak to manufacturer. No reason for that except for faulty rads and won’t be anything to do with paint. Even if system isn’t inhibited properly I can’t see that making them leak in such a short time.

TangerineDream likes this.
  9. TangerineDream

Thanks Macca, Ive shut both rad valves off already, just waiting on the plumber to get here. The other rads all seem fine. Thanks for your advice, I feel a more reassured now.

10. TangerineDream

Plumber came this afternoon and removed the rad to return to the manufacturers for a replacement after taking pictures of the affected areas. He did say he's seen this before, but only in this type of radiator, not the older ones. When he removed more of the blistered enamel, we could clearly see a fracture that went through across the panel. surprised it held out as long as it had. The water that was poured out of the rad was tinged black and I'll get a cleaner to put through the system which I think I can manage.

Can anyone offer a suggestion for the best cleaner to use for an unvented WB system, would Sentinel X800 be suitable?

11. TangerineDream likes this.
  12. TangerineDream

Thank you for your help Macca. I will do that. Ive never had to do this stuff before so very green but I'm learning and these forums are very helpful.

13. leew85

leew85 New Member

I have had the exact same problem on an identical radiator I fitted in 2020, Thankfully the supplier has agreed to replace the bad rad under warranty. Two other similar radiators (same style, different sizes) bought at the same time do not seem to have suffered. I suspect it may have been a bad batch.