Newly painted bathroom walls peeled with masking tape (easy to scrape off)

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Ed Redfearn, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Ed Redfearn

Ed Redfearn New Member

Hi all,
    Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

I've recently had my bathroom refurbished and have painted the room from bare plaster.
    I put masking tape on the wall so that I could paint the architrave and when I peeled it off, the paint on the wall came off too (back to bare plaster).

I tried to scrape away the loose paint so that I could repaint the bare patch but it seems like none of the paint has stuck to the wall very well as it is fairly easy to scrape off.

I painted the plaster with 1 mist coat of 50% Emulsion (Dulux Bathroom pure brilliant white soft sheen) 50% water. Then two top coats of Zinsser Perma White matt.

The plaster was completely dry before I painted it with the mist coat. The bathroom is pretty steamy but was painted and completely dry before the suite was installed.

Is it normal that the paint should peel off so easily? None of the other paint in the bathroom has peeled off on it's own but I only painted it 3 months ago. Do I need to strip it all and start again or can I just patch up the bits that I've scraped off? If so how?

Thanks again,
    Ed

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

A mist coat is matt emulsion,diluted 50/50, 60/40, depends on the paint used consistency.

Would think a soft sheen is like a vinyl finish, so would expect some grief when used for a mist coat.

3. Ed Redfearn

Ed Redfearn New Member

Thanks for the response KIAB.

I can't find a list of ingredients for the Dulux paint but I don't think it includes any vinyl, pretty sure it's water based. Is it just the fact that it is soft sheen rather than matt that is the problem?

The back of the tin says that for sealing a bare, absorbent surface use thinned with 10% water - so thought it would be ok. Can't remember if I did thin it with 10% water or more than that. It does also say for very porous surfaces use Dulux sealer for plaster. Although I didn't think smooth plaster counted as very absorbent.

Would you recommend starting again or just repainting the patch? See link to video to show how well/badly adhered the paint is to the surface.

4. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Always read the data sheet for the paint for guide. For bare plaster I prime with acrylic primer undercoat diluted.

Astramax likes this.
  5. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I'd get the lot off. That's terrible...

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Tis the best thing to do.:(

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Sounds like the OP has followed instructions on back of tin as says ‘for sealing bare, absorbent surface use thinned with 10% water’

But clearly from video, the paint (bathroom soft sheen) hasn’t acted as a mist coat. It’s not soaked into the bare plaster and sealed it but sat on the surface of the plaster with little adhesion

Strange really as the op actually added 50% water so must have been super thin but still didn’t soak into plaster

Seems a bad choice for a mist coat as being a ‘bathroom soft sheen’ paint, it’s obviously got more additives in it then a contract matt which would usually be recommended but, it does say on tin can be used to seal bare, new plaster

Clearly needs to be stripped off, pain but I recon in a few years when you come to paint again, this will give you more grief - tackle it now, you know it makes sense :)

8. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

I had exactly the same thing on a few walls. In my case it turned out to be that the plaster was too 'polished'. I ended up removing all the applied paint, sanding the plaster down to open it up a bit, and then started the painting again. This time it actually stuck.

koolpc likes this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I'm also surprised that soft sheen is suitable for a mist coat, goes against what we were taught, to only use a matt emulsion diluted for mist coat.:confused:

10. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Dulux data sheets recommend.
    Prime with one full coat Dulux Plaster Primer.
    If people read the application PDF sheet.
    Sometimes it dose say to add water for porus surface but that's different to new plaster.

11. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

The OP had used Dulux Bathroom Paint and he’s telling us that on the back of the tin, it says ‘use to seal bare plastered surfaces thin with 10% water’

So in defence of the OP, why would you then start looking up Dulux Data Sheets for more/conflicting advice ? He’s followed instructions on back of paint tin (more or less / tin says 10% water, actually added 50%)

I’ve not used this paint myself, just going on the details posted

Would be interesting to hear what Dulux have to say about the situation, give them a ring and look at some online reviews to see if any similar feedback

12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

If a masking tape was required (cough) a low tac one may have been a better choice along with more precise application of tape and paint......:oops:

13. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

@DIYDave. I've never seen Dulux state thin 10% for new plaster. Thin for porus surface but not new plaster. Contract paints you can apply to plaster which will leave you with a pours surface.

14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

It's easier to ask than to read!:cool:

15. lemonade

lemonade Member

We need to know what dulux class as bare or absorbent surfaces as I would think bare plaster is absorbent. I've contacted dulux about their retail matt for a mist coat and they told me that their trade paint have been designed to be thinned but they do not recommend thinning water based paint (unless you absolutely have to) as the paint is not designed to be thinned for a mist coat and once thinned the paint will diminish the opacity and the film build may not coalesce fully leaving a less durable film. I don't know how many painters & decorators are in this forum but watching the video they should be able to tell the OP what the other problem is apart from polished plaster.