Newly plastered walls

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by KDO, Apr 15, 2018.

1. KDO

KDO New Member

Hi
    Recently had walls plastered in new extension. Did a mist coat and left to dry 24 hours Applied 2 coats of Delux grey emulsion and its dryed patchy Any Advice

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Plaster onto blockwork can take around four weeks to fully dry, especially this time of year before you can put a mist coat on the walls.

I usually put on two mist coats, first one, then rub down/fill as needed any area's, then a second mist coat before final finish.

3. MalcyB

MalcyB Active Member

Where did the Dulux come from?

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Roller technique , loading and spreading the emulsion to thin, plus what KIAB has highlighted.

KIAB likes this.
  5. facilities

facilities Guest

Hey guys just a question perhaps for Astramax? About a year ago I painted all the walls and ceilings in our bungalow after they had been newly skimmed & ceilings overboarded & skimmed, now I keep hearing about mist coats and I am sure that is the correct way to tackle it, but our plasterers said just paint first with a cheap emulsion then with the decent stuff,

So I bought from B&Q Leyland Trade white on offer at the time for £10.00 for 10lts, this covered really well so much so that I considered leaving the ceilings with just this, I then went over everything with Dulux (the washable stuff can’t remember the name just now) anyway everything has been fine for the last year, have I just been lucky? or will something happen in the future that will indicate that I should have used a mist coat

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Might come back to bite you.:):D

Purpose of mist coat is to soak in & seal the surface,using undiluted paint, it just sits on the surface,you might find your able to peel it off afterwards.:)

7. facilities

facilities Guest

yeah I understand that Kiab but when should I worry? it's bin ok for over a year, perhaps the Leyland stuff was runny enough if that makes sense

8. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

It is very unlikely to fall off or peel on it's own. If a problem is going to occur it will be when you next decorate. I've had instances when sheets of paint have come off on the roller, I suspect on that occasion somebody had painted straight onto new plaster with a vinyl matt. Next time you decorate, if you're doing two coats, make sure you let the first coat dry fully. At the price you paid the Leyland paint would have just been a contract emulsion and not a vinyl paint so it would have soaked in to a degree, just not as much as a nice thin mist coat, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

KIAB and facilities like this.
  9. facilities

facilities Guest

cheers Filly, you've put my mind at rest:)

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Agree with KIAB and fillyboy, it may bite you when you come to redecorate but do no worry about it. Had a job some years ago with three different colour lines about 6" wide to be painted on all 4 walls of a room, masked up with low tac precision masking tap and once dry the tape peeled off a treat complete with all the paint right back to the non mist coated plaster due to whoever originally painted it omitted the mist coat. :( Had similar happen on a number of occasions. :mad:

11. KDO

KDO New Member

Thanks for the feedback the walls look fine today after 48 hours of drying maybe just needed a bit more drying time then usual

12. KDO

KDO New Member

From Screwfix

13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Unlikely to be the paint.

14. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

Similar occurrence last year, a 2 feet wide colour band around room, spent a fortune on low tack masking tape, peeled off veeeeerrrry carefully and took off loads of little patches, then spent hours touching it in, turned out ok and the customer was happy but it is frustrating and of course it seems churlish to charge for extra time on something like that.