Newly plastered walls

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Fatboy, Apr 19, 2004.

1. Fatboy

Fatboy New Member

Am just about to have a new stud wall plastered. Does anyone have any tips for painting on the new plaster? I'm really after opinions on roller vs brush vs pads - in the past I've used pads on fresh plaster but have ended up with a very flat / dull finish - I'm wondering if using a roller would give a slightly more textured and life like finish??

Also, how do you go about painting a full height stairwell? From bottom step to ceiling must be about 18 feet - ok I can reach with a roller and extension but what about cutting in?!!

Thanks

2. jay

jay New Member

Hi skinny, on new plaster u want to thin the first coat down with about 30% water then fill walls , let dry , rub down then apply top coat (not thinned) touching in the filler with brush then roll. use a medium pile roller remembering to wash the roller out before use to get rid of any loose fibres.
    As for the stair well use a ladder and a scaffold board with one end on a rung on the ladder with the other going to a pair of steps at the top of the stairs this will allow you to cut in!!! good luck

3. iandiy

iandiy New Member

dont buy cheap paint!!!!!
    i have made this mistake in the past and it really is false economy
    a couple of good coats of decent emulsion after the aformentioned prep gives a very satisfying result