Newly skimmed walls - what is an acceptable finish?

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Tom Carmichael, Apr 21, 2021.

1. Tom Carmichael

Tom Carmichael New Member

Hi all, new to the forum. I think I know the answer already but hoping to get some more opinions.

We’ve just had a bedroom re skimmed. Ceiling was previously artex, walls I had easi-filled and sanded to repair old plaster exposed once the wallpaper was removed (which looked ok but I wanted to take it to the next level). Walls above the picture rail were covered in several layers of wallpaper that had been painted over. Overall most of the plastered surface area looks ok, good from a distance, but once i start looking closely there are plenty of little nicks/ recesses, some raised little bumps not sure if theyre plaster drips as they are darker in colour, some corners look messy, mesh tape marks visible through the plaster in several places one of which I can feel the mesh pattern in the plaster.

The plasterer has already come back, sanded down some areas to improve the finish and put filler in some holes which he is yet to sand, but theres still plenty of problems to my eye. He is telling me that having to do some filling/ sanding is normal with any plastering and advising me to mist coat and then address any problems, it looks to me like there are going to be a lot of those to contend with - Id say 25-30 little areas. He's saying it'll look perfect when painted but Im not convinced.

My understanding is that after after plastering, the room should be ready to prime and paint, bar perhaps some quick and light sanding, and no filler needed. We agreed to £795 for this room including removing a damaged ceiling area above the bay window and re boarding it before plastering. We only decided to do the walls during the job as initially was just going to be ceiling for £400 if that makes any difference. We've had another plasterer on a different room in the house before and were really happy with the results. What are your thoughts on this finish and the idea that filling and sanding is normal at the decorating stage? Am I being reasonable to demand that the filling and sanding is done before I pay (assuming that is the best way forward to make this look right?) Thanks in advance

Photo 21-04-2021, 00 55 57.jpg Photo 21-04-2021, 00 56 47.jpg Photo 21-04-2021, 00 58 43.jpg Photo 21-04-2021, 00 59 48.jpg Photo 21-04-2021, 01 00 00.jpg Photo 21-04-2021, 07 10 46.jpg Photo 21-04-2021, 07 10 58.jpg Photo 21-04-2021, 07 11 10.jpg Photo 21-04-2021, 07 11 16.jpg Photo 21-04-2021, 07 11 32.jpg

2. Adamfya

Adamfya Screwfix Select

That is rough as. You can always expect to have to fettle areas after the mist coat. Thats normal.
    As for the cost, thats irrellevant really, as others will tell you soon!
    I wouldnt pay and wouldnt accept it.
    Its kinda like you had a plasterer you were happy with and youve gone elsewhere...so why?

3. Tom Carmichael

Tom Carmichael New Member

Thanks for the reply, good to know. The guy we used previously is no longer doing freelance plastering otherwise we definitely would have used him on this.

4. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

That's even worse than my plastering, and that's why I hire a real plasterer.
    That's so bad it's a joke ... and to think the joker is going to want some money for that. It'll cost you a lot of money to put that right, so your 'plasterer' should be compensating you!

5. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

No not great. I use flood lights when plastering and still have to snag a bit but minimal dings and marks in plaster.

6. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Looking close there is a mesh embedded in the wall by looks of it so that's a plus.

7. gadget man

gadget man Screwfix Select

Short and simple- that's ####ing awful.