Next door cooking smell...

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Hanjay, Apr 17, 2020.

1. Hanjay

Hanjay New Member

Very random but this is very frustrating!

A few times a week, next doors cooking smell manages to get into my bedroom and is driving me insane.

Their kitchen is downstairs and our bedroom is upstairs, but they are both on the same side of the house and meet in the middle.

The smell is AWFUL, it can even wake me and my partner up at silly oclock in the morning as they work shifts and can eat at different times than we do. The smell is so strong and it sticks to the duvet covers and cupboards - it just seems to linger forever.

It's really getting me down and most of the time, hate being in my room and I don't know what to do about it or who to contact? Not sure what to look for if anybody could give any advice?

Thank you

2. Hfs

Hfs Screwfix Select

Is there a chimney there?

3. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Look for somewhere else to live maybe ?

4. Hanjay

Hanjay New Member

Nope, no chimney. Nothing, just flat walls but it just seems to mainly come from one corner of our room which is near the outside wall.

Also, when the radiator is on, it's even worse the smell!! :(

5. Hanjay

Hanjay New Member

I have thought about it, but its not really that simple Haha unless it turns out that to sort it out will cost a fortune..

Just dont even know where to start!

6. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

What type of property is it ? Can you post pics of the wall with bedroom window / neighbours kitchen window ??

7. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

What does the smell, smell of? Food normally smells acceptable even if you don’t like onion or bacon or whatever, an awful smell that seeps and lingers would straight away make me suspect weed.

Sparkielev likes this.
  8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Sounds like the flat is a conversion? Maybe a case of blocking up any gaps, is a carpet fitted in the room.

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Are you sure it's cooking and not a toilet/sewer/drain stench.

10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Had this in last house which was next to a rented house. They constantly smoked in the garage below which was adjacent to me. The smell would creep into bedroom.

I reported it to the council Environmental agency as knew it was weed, which is very pungent and don't like the smell of.

11. Hanjay

Hanjay New Member

It's a semi-detached 1970 property. Should be able to do picture tomorrow

terrymac likes this.
  12. Hanjay

Hanjay New Member

Yes it is food, sometimes it is a case of it smells spicy, sometimes it somes like chip pan fat, and the sometimes sausages and that. Very odd

13. Hanjay

Hanjay New Member

Sometimes it is a case of it smells spicy, sometimes it somes like chip pan fat, and the sometimes sausages and that. Very odd, its 100% food, nothing else

14. Hanjay

Hanjay New Member

Oh really that's awful!
    We are lucky that it isnt that kind of smell, but its still something that is very very off putting :(

15. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

It could be a difficult one to rectify, if you could. The smell could seep through gaps in party wall, through gaps between the joists, behind skirting boards, etc. Unless their house is a complete pigsty and their kitchen hasn’t been cleaned in months........

16. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Have you thought of getting a dehumidifier it may help with the smells

17. Hanjay

Hanjay New Member

Yes there is a carpet it's the same one that was here when we moved in, it's not fitted very well as we need to fit a new one though.

18. Hanjay

Hanjay New Member

I know, its had us all scratching our heads. If it was just a tiny bit of smell it wouldn't bother us but it is so strong. We can smell it downstairs in the livingroom as we speak, its just gone all through the house.

Just wondering if we would need someone professional to take a look or if we should just look under carpet and floorboards ourselves

19. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Are you sure its a cooking smell and not a dead rotting rodent which would be a very putrid awful smell.

20. Hanjay

Hanjay New Member

My other half has just said that. I hope not :( I would think it would smell all of the time and not just now and again?
    I guess we will find out when we pull up the carpet and floorboards as I'm guessing if it is that, it will smell straight away