Next pooter question...

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by devil's advocate, Apr 29, 2009.

1. devil's advocate

devil's advocate New Member

I would like to shift my all-in-one to another room. It ain't wireless at the mo, but my pooter does have a wireless card thing built in.

I understand my options are:

1) Use a wireless printer server
    2) Convert my USB printer connection to something like ethernet using a USB Bridge (see, I have been surfing) so's I can run a long cable and then reconvert back to USB at the printer. Cable run around 20m.
    3) Not do it.
    4) Or something else

What advice do you wonderful chaps and chapesses have for me?

2. Ú¶

Ú¶ New Member

Euthanasia.

3. devil's advocate

Done that.

But I am Divine, so here I am again.

4. tomplum

tomplum Active Member

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

If your poot is wireless, you can print to the printer on the network(file and printer sharing)!

The printer does not need to be wireless.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. devil's advocate

Thanks gents.

My pooter does have a wireless card, but the printer doesn't. However, I don't use the pooter's wireless system at the moment to connect to broadband as I trust the performance of wired systems more - hence I ran a new phone line to the room.

I guess if I did obtain and use a wireless modem, it might have a USB socket I could plug my printer in to - is that what you're suggesting, Mr Ha?

That dongle thing, Tom, is - I think - designed to add wireless to a POOTER which doesn't already have it, but mine does. What I need, therefore, is the 'other' end - a wireless unit which can sit next to the printer with a USB port for it to be plugged in to.

I found a few different types, but typically they cost around £40+

And I'm Scottish.

7. Ú¶

Ú¶ New Member

<u>Deffo</u> euthanasia.

8. Mr GrimNasty

Mr GrimNasty Active Member

Gloomy is sunday,
    With shadows I spend it all
    My heart and I
    Have decided to end it all
    Soon there'll be candles
    And prayers that are said I know
    But let them not weep
    Let them know that I'm glad to go
    Death is no dream
    For in death I'm caressin you
    With the last breath of my soul
    I'll be blessin you

Gloomy sunday

(I keep trying)

9. devil's advocate

It's Wednesday.

10. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

Aloft
    In the loft
    Sits Croft
    He is soft

croft.

11. ­

­ New Member

d/a was a little twit
    he bought himself a pooter
    and on that farm he had a goat
    eey aye eey aye oh.

12. Biffo

Biffo Member

move the printer to the same room !!!!!

13. devil's advocate

Thanks, Biffo - it already is. That's what I'm trying to change...

I know I can go wireless by buying a wireless printer server, or I can go wired quite easily (ie: routing the cable is not a problem) - but would need to know what I'd require for this.

Being a solid, conservative chap, I like the hard-wired route (as I've done for the 'net) since it doesn't add any unnecessary complications, it's easier to set up, and tends to be more reliable. And it usually works better too.

If I go ethernet cable route, I guess I'd need a eth-USB adaptor? Also the single ethernet port on my pooter is currently used by my ADSL modem - I'd need an eth-USB converter at this end too?

(Ok, wireless is suddenly sounding easier...)

14. Ú¶

Ú¶ New Member

Suicide, it's painless, apparently.

15. Bcountry

Bcountry New Member

Hi Da
    From what you are saying a wireless print server is the easiest way and you have the added flexibility of using it anywhere in your mansion.

Forget about those sodding wires.

16. devil's advocate

Yep, I guess.

So's I can print from anywhere in my bungalow... :(

17. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I wasn't suggesting plugging your printer into a wireless hub.

What I was suggesting was, to connect the computers wirelessly.

Then from ANY wirelessly connected(networked) computer, you can print from the printer that is connected to another computer(once you have set it up to do so).

For instance, my computer is connected wirelessly to my son's computer upstairs. He has a printer plugged into his computer. If I were to load his printer driver on my PC, then choose to network that printer, I could print what's on my screen on his printer(as long as his printer was turned on, oh, and his computer). Hmm, sounds more problematic now :(

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

18. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Why do you want to use a printer in a different room that you will then have to walk to to see what you have printed?

19. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

"Why do you want to use a printer in a different room that you will then have to walk to to see what you have printed?"

:)

Also, why does my wife leave the remotes on the tv stand and why is her mobile phone static..........in whatever room she isn't in!!!!!!!!!

20. devil's advocate

Thanks, Mr Ha. So, in addition to a wireless router, I now need to buy a second computer too...

Chippie, I've just reclaimed the 'playroom' - the attached single garage I converted 4 years ago, earmarked as my chill-out room. Since it's now referred to as the 'playroom', you can guess it actually became either a chill-out room with added naughty bits, or else my two selfish b'st'rd kids took it over...

Now that I've thrown them and 3 bin bags of toys out, I wanna keep it tidy. And printers are big ugly things best kept out of sight.

A bit like kids.