Nice tails if you can get it

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Sydb3, Nov 27, 2020.

1. Sydb3

Sydb3 New Member

Electricity provider fees obtained today for domestic house on an estate:

Replace tails between cutout and meter: £179
    Fit an isolator: £212
    Perform both of the above at the same time: £391

Me: 'Will the technician liaise with the DNO disconnect?'
    Reply: 'Only the technician will attend.'

How does anyone expect electricity regulations and responsibilities to be taken seriously?

What do you reckon? 20minute job once on site and £20 parts? (Swager optional.)

2. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Just get it done by a normal certified spark. Many of them are permitted by the electricity suppliers to pull main fuses and replumb them. I know mine is.

Sydb3 likes this.
  3. unwokeable

unwokeable Member

The tails between the cutout and the meter are the responsibility of the dno/your supplier and should not be chargeable.
    Get your own Electrician to fit a Wylex rec2 on the consumer side of the meter.
    https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CA25TP1.html
    https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Produc...MIlq74vISj7QIVEe3tCh10sA8NEAQYASABEgJcxPD_BwE
    They are trying to rip you off big time

4. Sydb3

Sydb3 New Member

They say they make no profit on it. 'It is what the contractor charges them.'

The electricity supplier is not responsible for the cutout fuse; the DNO is.

Yes, the tails between cutout and meter are responsibility of supplier but what's to stop them charging whatever they want if you want them changing from 16mm2 to 25mm2?

5. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

A few years ago I attended a meter box fire, it was very impressive there wasn’t anything left of the external meter box, I was told that two fire tenders, the police and an ambulance arrived along with the DNO, because it was a barn conversion and there was the possibility of the fire spreading to eight homes.

I sorted out the consumer’s side and metering services sent a guy to install the new meter and connect it to the new intake the DNO had installed.

I used 25 mm tails which metering services guy connected into the meter, then the guy installed 16 mm from the meter to the intake, I questioned why and was told they are the standard meter tails along with a 60 amp fuse, I offered to supply some 25 mm tails which was declined with the comment “what’s the point with a 60 amp fuse”.

Presumably if the present owners want an electric vehicle charger they will now be charged for “upgrading” the tails and fuse.

6. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

The meter, the tails to the cut out (service head) and the service head itself are the responsibility of the DNO, no charges should be made to the customer for essential work on these items.

unwokeable likes this.